Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #1 
Foxell

Tiny Little Betta

So today while at petsmart I of course went to look at the bettas. Didn't plan on buying any until I saw this tiny little veiltail [I think, his tail is really tiny and not fully developed] dragon scale boy that was no long than an inch. All of the bettas were in pretty good condition but he was emaciated. He also had stress bars. I couldn't leave without him. I brought him over to someone and pointed out how skinny and under developed he was and they said the recently got a shipment of really tiny bettas, and for some reason they aren't gaining weight. I'm assuming he's just too tiny to eat any pellets they're giving him. There was one other tiny HM dragon scale that looked to have maybe fin rot and was also skinny, but not quite as skinny. It also seemed like he couldn't swim down. I really wanted to take home both of them but I couldn't afford two today.

Right now he's in a smaller holding tank while he recovers, and until I can get my new 10 gal. cycled. Do you guys have any suggestions on helping him gain weight? I was going to give small frozen bloodworms, but I want to make sure that's the right thing to give.

Thanks for any help!
Foxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #2 
Myates

Frozen bloodworms are fine- may have to chop them in half if they are too large for him. Also mini pellets, or cut up pellets for him if needed.

Just regular weekly water changes, warmth and good food and he should start to grow and become healthy :)

Oh, and we want pics!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

I also would try some frozen foods. I got something called community dinner, and it has a good combination of daphnia, beefheart, brine shrimp and other yummies. :) I use it once a week before fasting for my guys and it has helped my teeny tiny new girl put some weight on. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #4 
Foxell

Thanks guys! He ate his first bloodworms tonight, I was so proud! I honestly almost started tearing up because I was so worried he wasn't going to make it and seein him eat just warmed my heart. I had to cut them up into tiny pieces, but I have to do that for my other petite boy Chai too so I don't mind :P I will get pictures as soon as I can! He's so small that it's really hard to get pictures of him xD
Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #5 
Foxell

Here's some pictures of him! He must be really happy because I can see his color developing already. He's starting to get a slight pinkish color along with his shiny blue/white. I have a feeling he might look a little like Chai c: Also now that he has opened his fins, I'm not sure what tail type he is. Anyone have any ideas on that?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #6 
kathstew

His spine looks deformed D:
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #7 
Foxell

I was thinking the same thing D: I thought maybe it's because he's so skinny that it just looks that way? Because his head is SO much bigger than his body, you can really tell when you look at him from above. I hope if it is a deformity it won't affect his quality of life :/
Old 12-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

As long as he isn't in any pain and swims alright he should be fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #9 
Myates

Sometimes with malnourishment and not enough vitamins they can curve like that. Once you get him healthy it should right itself. Glad he was able to eat for you!
Continue what you are doing- giving him a warm, clean home and good food and in time he should fill out more. You're doing good :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote