Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2011, 03:14 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Yes, get the heater. But, ask her to NOT put it in his bowl, but first do a test with another container, approximately the same amount as his bowl (8 cups per gallon remember). put the heater into the test container, add thermometer, turn heater on.

If the temperature seems out of wack, yes it'd fry your fish. if it doesn't boost the temperature, then it is no good.

That's what I'd do o.o
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #12 
JeanLuc2

Sounds good. I will probably just instruct her on what to do with what you just said :D
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

That way you can get a heater, and you won't come back to a fried fish x.x
Old 12-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #14 
JeanLuc2

That's true. However we seem to have found a way to get not only his bowl stabilized at 76-80 degrees (it varies) and to also occasionally get his heater to kick in (for now). My mom and I have been leaning a hot water bottle filled with practically scalding water against his bowl and wrapping a towel around the bowl. He seems to really like this and has been quite active lately. We have to refill the bottle often and make sure somebody gets up in the middle of the night to refill it. It seems to be working for the moment.

I do plan to get him a new heater but, my mom and I have to agree on one. I will make it a point to do this tommorow before I leave to go to my father's out east.

Thanks so much for all your advice, and please keep it coming.
=D
Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

that was a very good idea, with the water bottle And no problem! It's nice to help out.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #16 
JeanLuc2

The water bottle actually was my mom's idea. She just randomly walked out of her room clutching the water bottle a couple days ago and asked "would this help?". It's been working beautifully. Depending on the amount of sunlight coming into the house and if the heater is helping out the bottle keeps his bowl stabilized at 76 to 82 degrees.

I totally agree that it is nice to help out. I will still need help understanding what wattage is right for a 2 gallon bowl. I completely do not understand it at all. He also has a cleaning bowl that is 1 gallon so it's been nice having the heaters that I have been getting cause they can go in either bowl..that was until they all decided to die.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

7.5 watt...

I have a tetra pre-set one, made for 2.5-10. It is horrible for a 10 gallon, but I use it for smaller tanks...and instead of staying room temp as it would in a say...5 gallon, it keeps it a tad warmer (78) for 2-3 gallons.

When you get a heater, just test it first So it does not mess with anything...like your fishy's life.

It is hard to heat a 1 gallon... there are no heaters that I know of for anything smaller than 2 gallons, safely.