Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #1 
LyzzaRyzz

Betta has poor eyesight...or narcalepsy?

So I just bout a new betta from my LPS, and hes adjusting quite perfectly IMO, I have just one concern.

a few times, he swimming along, and he nears the terracotta pots in his tank, or the filter, or the feeding station, and he bumps into it, sending him into a twitch!
Sometimes he ends up swimming, then its like he fell asleep or maybe didnt see the pot, and it freaked him out..

Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

And no, its not flashing!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Do his eyes look cloudy at all? Popped out?

Bettas with vision problems are unusual but unheard of. There are a few blind bettas on the forum. Usually though, you can see evidence of vision loss, like cloudy eyes and that sort of thing. And what kind of betta is he?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #3 
LyzzaRyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Do his eyes look cloudy at all? Popped out?

Bettas with vision problems are unusual but unheard of. There are a few blind bettas on the forum. Usually though, you can see evidence of vision loss, like cloudy eyes and that sort of thing. And what kind of betta is he?
Hes a mustard gas veiltail...and no, his eyes look clear, and copper...Its almost like when you accidentally walk into a wall when your going down a hallway, and you didnt notice you were getting so close, thats what he does..
Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #4 
Luimeril

does he react to you outside his tank? i had a blind HMPK, but if you looked at him, his eyes looked normal until you shone a light on him. have you tried that? either shining a light at him, or taking a photo of his face with flash?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Sigh, yeah, I know the walking into wall thing all too well. Should really learn to pay attention where I'm going.

Okay, the reason I asked what kind he is is because there's some slight evidence that PK dumboears tend to have vision problems.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #6 
LyzzaRyzz

Oh no, Im not lucky enough to have a dumbo ear!

Maybe he just needs to get used to the fact there's other thinks in hhis tank...

Also how can I tell if he's a smaller betta, or whether hes a juvie that'll get bigger?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #7 
LyzzaRyzz

Im usually staring at the ground, to make sure I don't step in some dog poo or someone's gum, and I'll walk right into a pole, or I'll be daydreaming and go to take a corner in a hallway and turn to soon, and SMACK! That's always been me lol I've learned to just laugh at it..=]
Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Is that him in your avvie? He looks like he's older than a juvvie but not quite full-grown. Maybe 6-8 months?

I'm always looking somewhere else, never ahead of me. You'd think I'd learn by now . . . *rubs bumps on head*

Is his tank filtered? Could the filter be blowing him into things? Or maybe he's just curious and is bumping things to see what they are?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #9 
LyzzaRyzz

He responds to pretty much everything with curiosity..i doubt he is blind, and it is filtered, but its an internal one, and thers not much flow at all...

Maybe hes just a clutz like his momma...lol

My boyfriend is constantly telling me not to hurt myself...to which i promptly do. lol
Old 12-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I think he must be doing these things to drive you nuts. :) "What can I do to make her worry? I know, I'll pretend I can't see the decor!" *whump*

But obviously, if it gets worse, we can try epsom or AQ salt. But for now, I'd go with watch and wait.