I posted recently but I have better pictures and the questionnaire:

Housing
What size is your tank? Currently 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Currently 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

* Until last week, he was in a 1.8 gallon tank that had a heater, however I could not set the temperature, I just monitored it and turned it on if it was less than 74 or so.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets, twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? none in the 10 gallon, in 1.8 I changed 100% every week or every two weeks. I also had live plants in there.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I put a water conditioner for chlorine, etc
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Crusty white growth of somekind on his tail

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Wondered if I seeing something probably 6 weeks ago, which I was.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Tried the fizzy tabs for fungus, and now using the lifegurard tabs

Does your fish have any history of being ill? None

How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him 3 years and 1 month, I don't think he was full grown when I got him...he grew larger I think.
Attached Images

Jstpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #2 
EvilVOG

bump to the top, kinda looks like fin rot but at the same time not. Could be ammonia burns as the water has not been changed. i think even with a cycled, filtered tank you need to do at least a 50% change weekly. In this case i'd say do 100% right off the bat.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #3 
Myates

Linking the link to the other thread you started..

HERE

I still want to stand by what I first mentioned.. maybe someone else will come along and may see something I am missing.

(It's not any form of fin rot)

Right now, just keep him in clean water as I suggested in the other thread- he is quite older.. 3.5 years is up there for bettas, but he probably has a couple years left in him. Just keep in mind that his tolerance won't be as great since he is older.. make sure you acclimate him well with the water changes while he is sick.

If the tabs don't clear it up in a couple of days, discontinue them- if it's lymph, the tabs won't help him and you're just putting him through extra stress.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #4 
Jstpotter

Thanks Myates and EvilVOG, the white parts are definitely turning shades of blue, so there is very little white color left. I hope it is healing (and not infecting new areas). He is my only fish so I don't have alot of fish experiance. It's really hard to judge if 'it' is worse better or same from day to day!!

There are two very tiny holes that I can see in the fin now though. One is in between the rays of his anal fin and there appears to be a string of some kind in the area of the hole, which I assume to be a piece of his tail that is sloughing off?

I wonder if the Lymph disease after it has burst looks like what my fish has perhaps? I just don't recall his fins every presenting with the bumpy under skin area like I saw in the lymph disease pics. He has always had a white ruffly edge presentation which I thought was maybe a color change at first.

It seems like maybe he could have chronic ammonia burn? I saw some ammonia burn pictures that reminded me a little of what he has.. :(

I am getting some kind of slime coat additive and some water testing equipment today to make sure I have good water for him. Anything else I should put on my list?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #5 
EvilVOG

the better water conditoners have a stress coat additive in them. so maybe get some prime or Stress coat + (most people around here reccomended prime to me, so that's what i use)
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #6 
Myates

Ammonia burns you will see mostly around the gill/head area.. the changing of color happens- I've seen lymph white, to grey to the color of the fish. A few members here have dealt with it.

I would say go ahead and change his water 1 25% and 1 50% per week to keep his water extra clean until it runs it's course, siphoning of the gravel once a month since you have live plants.

Stress Coat is fine to use.. but I would use it either as the regular water conditioner, or a few drops added with your regular water conditioner. Right now I wouldn't use the medical dose it offers- you don't want him to build up excess slime coating right now on top of everything. (They can/will create excess slime coating when fighting off toxins and such)

Double checking everything (I've been slacking lately.. 95% of my posts have been in the health section, not to mention tons of research/info I have on hand, but been taking a break for the most part here so had to double check myself on this) I am confidant of it being lymph- which isn't treatable, just clean water is all you can do while it goes through it's life span.. just watch in case it bursts, if that happens then you will have to do a larger water change/cleaning. It's similar to us getting warts.. it's not pretty to look at, may not be all that comfortable to them.. but we can't freeze them off like we can our warts.. sadly, they have to deal with them.
Just make him as comfortable as you can, with his age this isn't that easy on him.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #7 
Jstpotter

I believe my fish has columnarius!!

About half-way down on this page is a dark blue betta fish, with white stuff on it that is a dead ringer for my fishs' condition and it is identified as columnarius.

http://www.fishforums.com/forum/bett...etta-face.html

I picked up some maracyn, once I do a water change, I'm going to start it.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #8 
Myates

You can try.. but you already treated with a fungus medication and done nothing to it.. they also mentioned it being a parasite.. columnaris.. just do a google image search and you will see that what your guy has isn't a fungus infection. The thread you linked talked about it being a parasite as well...
The best way to tell with the naked eye is the hair like growth structures.

Here are the symptoms of it, which your guy doesn't show..
White spots on mouth, edges of scales, and fins: There will be necrotic lesions on the skin, which often are white/gray colored with an edging of red. These will quickly transform (in a day or two) into ulcers with have an orange/yellow color, caused by the bacteria decaying the underlying tissue.
Cottony growth that eats away at the mouth: In some cases, the lips of the fish, will become swollen and macerated, and a milky slime like film can be observed with the naked eye on parts of the body
Fins disintegrate beginning at the edges: Large milky patches can be seen quite easily on the fins of the fish, and this is usually an indication that the disease has progressed to a degree that cure will become much more difficult.
'Saddleback' lesion near the dorsal fin: One typical sign is the appearance of a "saddle" shaped lesion usually around the area of the dorsal fin, and this occurs so often, that the name "saddle back disease" is often used in aquaculture to describe this infection.
Fungus often invades the affected skin: There will be necrotic lesions on the skin, which often are white/gray colored with an edging of red. These will quickly transform (in a day or two) into ulcers with have an orange/yellow color, caused by the bacteria decaying the underlying tissue.
Rapid gilling in cases where gills are infected: Similar effects very typically occur on the gills, but may for the average hobbyist be somewhat harder to observe at least in the early stages. The progression of these ulcers, causes the fish to have great trouble with its respiration, and thus can quickly lead to fatalities. If the gills are examined, excessive amounts of mucous, are to be expected.

The fish will become very listless and lethargic, often hanging at the surface, trying to breath there, although on occasion, the fish will rest on the bottom of the tank. Reluctance to feed is very typical and the fish will become anorexic. Respiration is often rapid, as the fish fights to overcome the damage done by the infection to its gills.

You can PM Sakura or OFL and show them this link if you wish to get a second opinion... but honestly think it's not columnaris..
Old 12-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #9 
Myates

How is he doing? How's that Maracyn working for you?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #10 
Jstpotter

He isnt behaving any differently but he is definitely getting worse. He has a very clear hole thru his tail and the overall size of the wound is larger and very slightly fuzzy. The maracyn is doing nothing. I am 75% sure he has some kind of bacterial infection. So i am looking for a better antibiotic.. After some research the maracyn is NOT a good antibiotic for columnarius and some other true bacterias. Unfortunately the big box pet stores dont seem to have the stuff he needs, so i'm thinking of calling my vet honestly!