Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #1 
peridotclover

Unhappy New Betta Won't Eat

I got a new betta a week ago, and he has yet to eat anything. He seems to have a bit of fin rot - tail has pinholes, edges are ragged. Also noticed tonight, he seems to be losing color a little at the base of his dorsal fin. He doesn't seem as alert - hangs out on top of the heater a lot, seems to be sleeping.

I have a 1 gal tank, and i've been doing 100% changes every other day and 25% changes on the days in between. I've put 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt in. He's refused all the pellets i've gotten him (Tetra and Top Fin, which the pet store said they used.) I have a mini heater that keeps temperatures around 75-78, and a small fake plant. The pH is slightly low, the test strip says around 6.2.

Is the lower pH a problem? I'm mainly worried about his lack of appetite - should I try feeding him bloodworms? Is 1/2 tsp of salt for a 1 gal enough? The internet has conflicting info. I don't want to kill him, this is my first attempt at having a fish since my unsuccessful attempts as a child :(
peridotclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #2 
iLikeBetta808

have you tried any other foods? like freeze-dried bloodworms? or another brand of pellets?

as for the fin rot, you should get him stress coat to add with the aq. salt. the stress coat will help repair him fins.

hopefully other people will find this and help as well.
iLikeBetta808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #3 
LittleBettas

pH wise, bettas are pretty hardy, I dont thing that is an issue unless he was shocked... how did you introduce him to the new tank/water... did you acclimate him slowly?

You can boost the AQ up to 1 tsp per gallon of water, but you may want to do 100% daily water changes since he has finrot

Food wise, if you can get a hold of live food that would be great, few bettas can resist squirming mosquito larva or live bloodworms... if the bloodworms you have a freeze dried (come in a plastic container) then they are NOT good for everyday feeding... however, you can try soaking them in garlic water (1 clove of diced garlic in a maybe 1 inch of water in a small cup, let that sit for a while, then add the freeze dried bloodworms OR pellets... garlic tends to stimulate hunger and also helps with parasites)
if your bloodworms are frozen, then you can try giving him one or two and put them right in front of him
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #4 
peridotclover

Thanks for the response! I did acclimate him slowly - or at least, over a period of about half an hour. Idk if that's slowly enough. I will try to do 100% changes every day, and will try the garlic water thing with his pellets tonight. Hopefully he eats! Thank you very much!!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #5 
peridotclover

So I got some frozen bloodworms for him, and he gobbled them up. Yay! :) I've been looking around online tho - some people say that once bettas get a taste of bloodworms and such, they refuse to eat pellets anymore? Is there a way to get him to each pellets after having had a bloodworm, since a diet of frozen bloodworms is not balanced and healthy?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #6 
Tobythefish

We feed our Bettas freeze dried bloodworms twice a week and they don't have any objections to eating flakes the rest of the time. I don't Know if all Bettas are that way though, I hope yours doesn't mind eating other food.
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #7 
carlos2011

Hi,
I've had my little blue betta Carlos for about a yr now, and for the past few days, he refuses to eat.. im rlly worried because he's never rejected his food, like he puts it in his mouth but then spits it rite back out?? what should i do, ive tryed giving him pellets, flaked food, freeze dried bloodworms, and brine shrimp, but he wont eat any of it... help please!! :(

Last edited by carlos2011; 12-23-2011 at 04:59 PM.
carlos2011 is offline   Reply With Quote