Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #1 
AngesRadieux

Unhappy Salazar died and I'm not sure what happened...

So, Salazar as my tail biter... Recently I noticed a little bit of black on his fin which I thought might have been rot. I started doing more frequent water changes and dosing him with AQ salt.

Well, this morning I cupped him and changed his water. I rinsed out the tank, his decorations, etc. I put clean water in the tank and added Nutrafin Aqua+ water conditioner and 1.25 tsp of AQ salt (he was in a 2.5 gallon tank). Once his tank was all set up, I put him back in, like I've done every other time I changed his water, and he started darting around all over the place. First, I thought he was exploring because I moved his decorations around. But then he started swimming on his side, as though he was having trouble. So I cupped him to put him in more shallow water so he could get air, but he died not even a minute after the water change.

I think it might be something in the water, but this was his third water change since I came home from school and nothing like this had happened with the other two changes and Severus, my other betta, seems absolutely fine. He's gotten new water twice since I brought him home--once when I first set up his tank at home and the second when I had to empty his tank in order to move it to clear off some counter space so my mom had more room to cook for Christmas Eve. He's fine.

Do you guys have any idea why he might have died so suddenly?
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #2 
Silverfang

It definitely sounds like he had a reaction to something. Whether it was something in the water, or a bit of residue in either the tank or cup, I'm not sure.

Might be a stupid question, but did you use any soap or anything when you rinsed out his tank? The water you had in the cup was it dechlorinated?

The only other thing I could think about was he was not acclimated to the water and he went into some sort of shock. I've never seen this happen, but it sounds like a possibility.

Sorry about your Salazar, it sounds like you were taking such good care of him. Accidents happen, I hope it doesn't discourage you from keeping another.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #3 
AngesRadieux

The water in the cup was tank water. It had been conditioned and treated with AQ salt just like the tank water. I didn't use any soap, just hot water. I got the water tested at Petco and they said it looked completely fine. One employee told me that it was the conditioner and AQ salt that killed him and that I should just use distilled water instead of conditioned tap water, but everyone here seems to say that distilled water is bad, so I'm just going to keep using tap water with conditioner.

Apparently they just got a new shipment of fish last night, so while I was there I picked out a pretty halfmoon who's currently floating in the tank to get acclimated to the temperature. :/ I just wish I knew what happened to Salazar so the same thing doesn't end up happening to Severus or my new betta who hasn't been named yet.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #4 
Silverfang

That is strange, I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, those were just the most likely suspects I could think of. I hope you have your new boy for a long time to come, and that someone might be able to figure out what happened.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #5 
Luimeril

did you add the salt slowly, or add it before you put him in it?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #6 
FuulieQ

Maybe there was something on your hands? I've heard of bettas having bad reactions to lotions or other contaminations from people's hands while they're changing the water.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #7 
AngesRadieux

I added the salt and conditioner both before putting him back in the tank. I guess it's possible I had something on my hands, though I wasn't wearing lotion... :/ Maybe there was some soap residue on the counter that got on my hands and contaminated the water?
Old 12-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #8 
Luimeril

the salt could have shocked his system. whenever i add salt, even when salt was in the tank before a water change, i always add it slowly, a little at a time. x: either way, i'm sorry about your loss. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #9 
Moclam

Did you have any cuts, or dirt under you're nails, or something along those lines?
I've had betta's die before from that. Being as I do a lot of art, I get led under my nails all the time. Thus I started wearing gloves, and it's been fine ever since.
Moclam is offline   Reply With Quote