Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #1 
BettaMommy531rip

Talking I'm new, and I come bearing questions.

Hello peeps! Iím new here so I will tell you a bit about myself (specifically my bettas, cuz they are practically my children). I have had exactly 4 bettas (so right off the bat you can see Iím no expert). The first betta I ever had was a red crowntail with a purplish sheen to him. Believe it or not I named himÖ Pretty Boy (I know, stupid name, but I was only eight). He lived up to his name though. He was always flaring at his reflection. At first he would flare angrily like, ďWhatís up with this intruder!Ē, but then he would calm down a bit and flare like, ďhe is a dashingly handsome intruder at that!Ē LOL. I luved him. He was hilarious. Before he passed I got Shimmer, my little ďmuttĒ girl. A few weeks after I got her she nearly gave me a heart attack! I had just finished cleaning her ďbedroomĒ when she decided to introduce me to the fact that, BETTAS JUMP!!! She landed behind my bookshelf, when I noticed I started screaming bloody murder. My mom pounded up the stairs and saved my little baby. She was kind of fuzzy looking from the dust, but she quickly shook it off and proceeded to beg me for some bloodworms (freeze dried). I believe after her I had Jasper, a crowntail boy who never had a chance thanks to PetCo. Then following him Deluge, who also got off to a bad start with PetCo. Now I still have my Shimmer, and I luv her soooo much! I already have some questions for anyone willing to answer them (you donít know what ur getting into).

My Questions:

1.) I bought most of my bettas from PetCo. But they are always sick (even if they donít look sick in the store). Iíve tried ick treatments, pimafix, melafix, and a few others but they never do the job. Does anyone have tips on how to pick out healthier bettas, or meds that have worked for their sick bettas in the past?
2.) Does anyone know of reliable betta breeders on Aqua Bid who ship from within the U.S.? I scroll down the list of every single betta available and the only thing that stops me is trust in the breeder. I just need someone reliable, but not too expensive.
3.) Iíve heard that aquarium salt can be good for ailing bettas as well as stressed out or injured bettas. Is this true? If it is how much per gallon should you put in?
4.) Does anybody know of betta breeders who ship from within the U.S.? I donít really have too much of a handicap on my price range because in the end you get what you pay for, but a little on the lower end of things would be helpful.
5.) Do any of you know of people who breed dragon bettas (Of any color. But colors like black, gold, copper, and red are beautiful and striking.) I like every fin type except any kind of plakat (though there are some gorgeous ones out there). I am a more traditional type of girl. You know, boys=long fins, girls=short fins. I really want a dragon betta from a U.S. breeder so I donít have to go through all that crazy transshipping.
6.) How do you ensure that live aquarium plants are clean/how do you clean them to make them safe for your fish?
7.) Does anyone have PetCoís 6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium? If so how does it work? Iíve heard it scratches easily and has a loud filter. Does anyone have ideas about how to adapt it to fix the loud filter? What would be a new filter that is safe for bettas? I donít have it yet, but I am seriously considering buying it. Tell me how it is please. :)
8.) I am considering starting a betta sorority. Can anybody post some pics. of their sorority, and give me tips about how to get all the girls together? Iíve heard that most girl bettas donít fight, but that there are some aggressive ones. What do I do if they donít get along? Also I plan on quarantining all the girls before they go in to ensure everybody is healthy, and that all of them donít get sick because of one or two of them. I plan on basically conditioning all of them (but not breeding them). Are there any foods or medicines I can use to make them all happy and healthy? Iíve heard bettamax, indian almond leaf, and aquarium salt is great for bettas even if they arenít sick. I also heard that for the first day or two they will nip at each other and establish a pecking order, but what if one of them keeps picking on the others? Also how do you make sure they all get their fair share of food? I didnít buy them yet. Iím making sure I know everything before I invest any money, but more than money I donít want to invest my love without ensuring the life of my new little bettas. I canít tell you how many times I buy fish from PetCo and am disappointed and heartbroken when my fishie dies. So any answers would be nice.
9.) What snails/cleaner animals are safe to keep in a sorority betta tank? Can you just use anything? I really want to use a snail, but Iím not sure which one to get. Do you have to quarantine snails to make sure they are clean? I want to use a 15 gallon tank, is there a snail that works particularly well for that size tank? Do you have to feed a snail or do they basically feed themselves?
10.) Also I would like a heater and a filter (they both should be betta friendly) for my 15 gallon, but I have issues finding one. Could anyone recommend a good heater/filter for a 15 gallon tank?
11.) I heard that if you have a sick fish from a community tank/sorority that you should remove it immediately to a 1 gallon bowl or jar. I know this much but, how often do I change the sick fishís water, what food should I feed it, should I give it anything in terms of dťcor, or should I leave the bowl blank? What do I do with the other fish, because they may have been infected? Isnít good for sick fish to stay warm? If so that how do you heat a one gallon bowl?

Please answer my questions and thank you for reading this ridiculously long spiel, and feel free to ask me questions about myself, or even tell me about yourself. I donít care how long your messages are because Iím just a girl behind a computer, and I have plenty of time on my fins (I mean HANDS!) Bettas are ruling my mind! When you get bit with that betta bug you arenít just bit, you are CHOMPED!
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

1.) I bought most of my bettas from PetCo. But they are always sick (even if they donít look sick in the store). Iíve tried ick treatments, pimafix, melafix, and a few others but they never do the job. Does anyone have tips on how to pick out healthier bettas, or meds that have worked for their sick bettas in the past?

Look for bettas who are active and colorful with no noticeable ailments. Bring a baggie of pellets and drop one in and see if they have a good appetite. Bring a mirror (for males) and see if you can get them to flare.

There are many meds to treat many different things. I'd need specifics about what was wrong with the fish to suggest a medication or treatment.

2.) Does anyone know of reliable betta breeders on Aqua Bid who ship from within the U.S.? I scroll down the list of every single betta available and the only thing that stops me is trust in the breeder. I just need someone reliable, but not too expensive.
Any AB listing with a US flag next to it is a US seller. Ones I would recommend are Martinismommy, Dragonlady, Hyngnuyen (that might be spelled wrong), and Chard56. Chard has the best prices if you're looking for pet quality fish. He's on this forum so you can PM him and ask if he has anything suitable for you.

3.) Iíve heard that aquarium salt can be good for ailing bettas as well as stressed out or injured bettas. Is this true? If it is how much per gallon should you put in?
Aquarium salt should only be used for treating specific things. It helps during treatment of fin damage to prevent fungal and bacterial infections as well as treatment against external parasites. It should be used for no longer than 10 days at a time. The amount depends. Generally you start with 1tsp per gallon and go from there. Keep in mind bettas are descended from an area that has very low salt content in the water, they are not meant to be in salt for long periods of time.

4.) Does anybody know of betta breeders who ship from within the U.S.? I donít really have too much of a handicap on my price range because in the end you get what you pay for, but a little on the lower end of things would be helpful.
See #2

5.) Do any of you know of people who breed dragon bettas (Of any color. But colors like black, gold, copper, and red are beautiful and striking.) I like every fin type except any kind of plakat (though there are some gorgeous ones out there). I am a more traditional type of girl. You know, boys=long fins, girls=short fins. I really want a dragon betta from a U.S. breeder so I donít have to go through all that crazy transshipping.
I believe a member on here, Darkmoon17, has a spawn of black dragons for sale right now. You should PM her and see if she has any left. I believe they were HM's.

6.) How do you ensure that live aquarium plants are clean/how do you clean them to make them safe for your fish?
Getting them from a reliable source is one way to ensure they're safe. Generally speaking most healthy plants are safe for the fish. But like anything living that goes in your tank you should quarantine the plants for at least 1 week in a separate container.

7.) Does anyone have PetCoís 6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium? If so how does it work? Iíve heard it scratches easily and has a loud filter. Does anyone have ideas about how to adapt it to fix the loud filter? What would be a new filter that is safe for bettas? I donít have it yet, but I am seriously considering buying it. Tell me how it is please. :)
I've known people that have it but TBH it's not worth the price tag, for what you pay for it you could get a 10 gallon with a filter and a heater.

CONTINUED
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

8.) I am considering starting a betta sorority. Can anybody post some pics. of their sorority, and give me tips about how to get all the girls together? You can search the forums for threads on sororities. I must warn you MANY sororities fail and personally I don't recommend them for begginers. You really should have a good understanding of the body language of these fish before undertaking a sorority.I’ve heard that most girl bettas don’t fight, but that there are some aggressive ones. What do I do if they don’t get along? Many females will fight, it's a myth that they are more docile than males because just like males it is entirely dependent on the personality of the fish. If they are too aggressive you just have to remove them to their own tank, there's no way to force them to get along. That is why anyone who has a sorority should have enough tanks/room to house each fish individually if something goes wrong. Also I plan on quarantining all the girls before they go in to ensure everybody is healthy, and that all of them don’t get sick because of one or two of them. I plan on basically conditioning all of them (but not breeding them). Are there any foods or medicines I can use to make them all happy and healthy? Feed them a high quality diet. Good brands of pellets are NLS, Atison's, HBH, Betta Extreme, and Omega one. Frozen foods are also an excellent staple for bettas. A varied diet is the best possible thing you can give them. Try not to feed freeze dried foods very often if at all.. most of the nutritional value is removed during the drying process (much like potato chips for people). I’ve heard bettamax, indian almond leaf, and aquarium salt is great for bettas even if they aren’t sick. Bettamax is just a gimmick, I wouldn't buy it. IAL is excellent and I highly recommend it. Like I said in a previous question aquarium salt should only be used to treat specific things. Not as a general cure-all or tonic. I also heard that for the first day or two they will nip at each other and establish a pecking order, but what if one of them keeps picking on the others? Like I said before if one is continually aggressive you will need to house her separately or find her a new home (which can be hard), always have extra tanks on hand. Knowing the difference between establishing a pecking order and out and out aggression is key to maintaining a sorority. Also how do you make sure they all get their fair share of food? Feeding each separately is an option, personally I just made sure to spread the food wide across the aquarium so each fish could find food without another butting in. Generally speaking you may find you are over feeding the tank in an effort to make sure everyone is fed, that is why you will need to do more water changes than usual for the tank. I didn’t buy them yet. I’m making sure I know everything before I invest any money, but more than money I don’t want to invest my love without ensuring the life of my new little bettas. I can’t tell you how many times I buy fish from PetCo and am disappointed and heartbroken when my fishie dies. So any answers would be nice.
9.) What snails/cleaner animals are safe to keep in a sorority betta tank? There is no such thing as a cleaner animal.. anything you add to the tank is adding bioload which is going to mean more water changes. Can you just use anything? I really want to use a snail, but I’m not sure which one to get. Snails are excellent for cleaning up uneaten food and algae but remember, everything poops, so you will end up doing just as much tank maintenance as you would if you didn't have the snail.A nerite or mystery snail is a good option as they normally don't overpopulate a tank like others do. Do you have to quarantine snails to make sure they are clean? Every living thing, plant or animal should be quarantined. Personally I QT plants for at least 1 week and animals for at least 2 weeks, preferably 1 month.I want to use a 15 gallon tank, is there a snail that works particularly well for that size tank? Any snail will do in that size one or two mysteries would do fine.Do you have to feed a snail or do they basically feed themselves? Snails need a calcium rich diet to keep their shells in good condition. Supplementing whatever they eat in the tank with sinking wafers enriched with calcium or calcium rich veggies like spinach is essential to keeping your snail healthy. You can check out the tankmates section for threads about snail care.

10.) Also I would like a heater and a filter (they both should be betta friendly) for my 15 gallon, but I have issues finding one. Could anyone recommend a good heater/filter for a 15 gallon tank? For a 15 gallon tank I'd recommend an Aqua Clear 20 or 30 hang on the back filter. For heaters you can use a 75watt adjustable heater. Aqueon, visitherm, hydor, ehiem all make good heaters.

11.) I heard that if you have a sick fish from a community tank/sorority that you should remove it immediately to a 1 gallon bowl or jar. I know this much but, how often do I change the sick fish’s water,Depending on the size of the container you will want to do daily or every other day water changes. what food should I feed it, Continue to feed high quality foods like the ones I mentioned. should I give it anything in terms of dťcor, or should I leave the bowl blank? IAL is good for hospital tanks as they can hide under it as well as benefit from the tannins released. Adding a silk plant or a cave to make them feel comfortable is also recommended, as well as a heater obviously.What do I do with the other fish, because they may have been infected? Depending on what disease it is you may want to treat the entire tank. Isn’t good for sick fish to stay warm? Yes.If so that how do you heat a one gallon bowl? Personally I prefer hospital tanks that are at least 2-5 gallons. Plastic storage bins work GREAT as hospital tanks and you can get one in a 5 gallon size for much cheaper than a fish tank. This way you can use a 25 or 50 watt adustable heater and maintain a healthy temperature.

Answers in red :) Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #4 
BettaMommy531rip

It helps so much! Thank you!
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #5 
Aqua Butterfly

Hi BettaMommy, In answer to question #7, I have the Petco Bookshelf Aquarium and I am VERY happy with it. It gives the look of a bigger tank and I have it on top of my computer desk. A 10 gallon wouldn't fit on my desk. I have had no problems whatsoever with the light, pump or anything. My pump is very quiet. The flourescent light makes my Betta glow beautifully as well as my Neon Tetras. I bought mine from Amazon. I had plenty of room to decorate too. Amazon has it on sale right now. I give it 5 stars for my needs!

Last edited by Aqua Butterfly; 12-30-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Aqua Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

It's odd that a 10 gallon wouldn't fit. It's actually not as long as the bookshelf tank (10 gallons are 20in long and the petco tank is 24in long) and only 2" wider.

It's a pretty tank...just a not so pretty price tag for the size.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #7 
Aqua Butterfly

Just so you can see the bookshelf aquarium setup, here is a pic of Rocky Boys tank. I've made some changes to the decor since I uploaded pics a few days ago when I joined BettaFish. Hope you like it!
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #8 
Aqua Butterfly

I know. I thought about a 10 gallon, but I didn't think my desk would be able to hold the weight, LOL! All I need is a drowned computer. I'd REALLY be in a mess then!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Really cute! You have an eye for aquascaping. My tanks always look like a bunch of plants were just thrown in LOL

Edit.. yeah that makes sense. 10 gallons weigh roughly 200-250lbs.. the 6 gallon probably weighs about half that.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #10 
Aqua Butterfly

Thanks for the compliment 1Fish2Fish. I just decide on a theme and go for it, LOL! Yea the weight was the prime factor in my decision for the bookshelf tank. I have a nice little 5 gallon on the way from Walmart. It has everything and it is only 25.00 online. I think I'm going for a saltwater look on that tank, corals, silicone anemone, maybe even a silicone jellyfish bobbing around, LOL! All fakies though.

Tags
bettamommy531rip, lol, questions