Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #1 
MrWynO14

Question Betta Jar Water Chemistry

Hi, I've been doing a bit of experimentation with the water parameters of my quart sized betta jars lately. I do 100 percent water changes once a week on all of them. I have noticed if I don't scrub down the insides of them when I do my water changes, then the jar cycles and the ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 until my next water change. The problem with this though, is that the jars start to build a film on the inside and has to be scrubbed down once in a while in order to keep them looking nice. When I scrub them down and get them crystal clear, the cycling starts all over again and the ammonia and nitrite are up to undesirable levels by the time the next water change occurs.

If I were to change their water with some cycled water from my bigger tank every week, would this keep their ammonia and nitrite at zero? The water in my bigger tank gets changed weekly, and the ammonia and nitrIte stay at 0 while the nitrAte stays at about 5 ppm.

I'm going to try it anyhow, but just wondered if anyone has ever done this. I've googled it and can't really find anything on it. Thanks for the input!
MrWynO14 is offline   Reply With Quote