Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #1 
Algol

I need guidance!

I am going to shortly soon have a betta. he willl be placed in a 2.5 gallon tank, live plants, and gravel. I wanted to know any helpful tips about what to feed him, what kind of sickness/disease i should watch out for and any extra or specail supplies i should get him. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN :D
Algol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #2 
CreativePotato

Heyyy, cuz'. :D Trust me, you'll get tons of help here. I know I have.
CreativePotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to the forum and to betta keeping! You'll find lots of dedicated people here very willing to help with all kinds of things. Hehe. You also might get bitten by the bug. Most of us find it hard to stop at just one. I have 4.

You sound like you are off to a great start. The only thing I would add is a heater and thermometer. Bettas are tropical fish and like to kept at temps between 78F and 82F. A warm betta is a happy betta.

As far as food most people like Hikari Betta Biogold or New Life Spectrum betta food. For treats most people feed frozen bloodworms or freeze-dried bloodworms for the more squeamish. For the really brave you can try live food.

Disease is really only a problem at two time: 1) when you first get him 2) if you don't keep up on the water changes. When you first get him, (if you get him from a major chain petstore) he will probably have some degree of fin rot. There is a sticky (post at the top) in the disease forum that will tell you how to take care of it.

Hope I was able to help! Be sure to post a picture of your little guy once you get him! We love pictures! I have one of mine in my sig.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #4 
Algol

Thank you for the info, i will look into a heater and thermometer for my little guy. (e a warm house.) xD
Algol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #5 
CreativePotato

I got you a thermometer today, Algol. I had a spare eight bucks and decided to get a proper one for my tank and decided I might as well get one for yours. XD
Old 12-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #6 
gossipgirl1031

I wound up somewhat without meaning to having a rescue & have 14! They are hard to stop at one.

The heater is a huge thing to have! Especially depending on your climate. I live in the midwest and all 14 have some kind of a heater (they are that important). Kind of goes without saying, but a good dechlorinator is also a MUST. I also keep aquarium salt on hand at all times (not for all the time use), but can be helpful in treating some diseases.

*Side note-Creative Potato-I love Ann Arbor!! My favorite city to visit (& I regularly do). I figure skate and go up to train every couple months in Canton at Arctic Edge. Eventually I hope to move there and finish out school at U of M.

Welcome & enjoy your new little aquatic friend! Happy Holidays!
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Aquarium Salt (for external issues) and Epsom salt (for internal issues). You can get Epsom salts at any pharmacy, make sure it's no perfume or dyes.

Frozen food... Bettas LOVE it. Mine like bloodworms and brine shrimp :) I have a 1ml syringe from the Vet to feed frozen food.

Prime or Stress Coat for water conditioner.

Pick up a hospital tank. Should it be a 1g cheap thing, or maybe a medium sized clean tupperware container. Just in case :)

2.5g bucket for water.

These are some thing I have to make life a little more simple :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #8 
guardianfyre

I'd recommend getting a turkey baster. Sounds weird, but it makes removing debris from your tank easy and is less frightening/stressful to your betta than swishing a net around in the water would be.

I'll second everyone on the aquarium salt. Don't use it for normal water, but, if your fish is sick, it can be a lifesaver. It's inexpensive and doesn't go bad.

For the heater, try to find an adjustable submersible. If you can submerge it, you won't have to worry about watching the water line indicator to make sure it's covered. Adjustablity means you won't freeze or fry your fishy.
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #9 
CreativePotato

Algol's internet isn't working, but he wanted to ask if anyone had reviews for the Aqueon Mini Heater. As far as I know, it's submersible and has a shutoff function if it gets too hot. Does anybody use this heater?

(GossipGirl1031: Haha, I love this place too! Downtown is my favorite place to go.)
Old 12-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #10 
gossipgirl1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativePotato View Post
Algol's internet isn't working, but he wanted to ask if anyone had reviews for the Aqueon Mini Heater. As far as I know, it's submersible and has a shutoff function if it gets too hot. Does anybody use this heater?

(GossipGirl1031: Haha, I love this place too! Downtown is my favorite place to go.)
Downtown Ann Arbor is awesome!! I love all the places to eat, drink, see & do. I have so many favorites there & can't wait to move there :)
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote