Temp: 84F
pH: 8.1
NH3: 1.0 ppm
N02: 0.25 ppm
N03-: 5.0 ppm
thejapanesezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Fishless cycling in a filtered tank without live plants-you know you are cycled when you have nitrate 5-10ppm without any ammonia, nitrite spikes....

What size is the tank, type of filter, what is your ammonia source, type of testing products, finial stocking plan...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #3 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Fishless cycling in a filtered tank without live plants-you know you are cycled when you have nitrate 5-10ppm without any ammonia, nitrite spikes....

What size is the tank, type of filter, what is your ammonia source, type of testing products, finial stocking plan...
Hmn, it's a fish in cycle, daily water changes of 50%. 5.5 gallons, no live plants. I use API freshwater master kit (liquid testing) Filter is a AquaClear 10.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Have you tested the source water and what type of additives are you using, what is the stocking level and how are the livestock.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #5 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Have you tested the source water and what type of additives are you using, what is the stocking level and how are the livestock.

I'm using Aqua Plus water conditioner (the one that claims it's stress reducing) I use the dosage that gets rid of Chlorine (not the higher dosage for Chloramine since I know our city doesn't use that in our water. It also detoxifies heavy metals in the water). That's all I really add. I have hard water, which keeps my PH (though really high) very stable.

I stocked the tank with a single betta fish. He's doing fine, still very active, doesn't seem bothered, still has an appetite too!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Good.....what about your source water numbers for-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH before you add any of the dechlorinator and then test again with the dechlorinator to compare...this will help tell you if the dechlorinator is causing any skewed reading...then test the tank again and compare all the numbers...this will give you a base line.....

Remember to shake, bang on the table and shake some more on the #2 bottle nitrate reagent and follow the directions to the "T" with all of them...especially if you are new with using the API freshwater master test kit....they can be time sensitive and cause a high user error with skewed results.....
Old 12-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #7 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Good.....what about your source water numbers for-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH before you add any of the dechlorinator and then test again with the dechlorinator to compare...this will help tell you if the dechlorinator is causing any skewed reading...then test the tank again and compare all the numbers...this will give you a base line.....

Remember to shake, bang on the table and shake some more on the #2 bottle nitrate reagent and follow the directions to the "T" with all of them...especially if you are new with using the API freshwater master test kit....they can be time sensitive and cause a high user error with skewed results.....
alright :) give me half an hour (I'm eating lunch!) and then I will update with the test results of source water, dechlorinated water and again tank water before it's changed!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #8 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:

CURRENT TANK CONDITIONS

PH 8.2
NH3 1.0 ppm
N02- 0.25 ppm
n03- 0 ppm

UNTREATED WATER

PH 7.8
NH3 0.25ppm
N02- 0 ppm
n03- 0 ppm

TREATED WATER

PH 7.8