Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #1 
LyzzaRyzz

Betta is a little bulgy underneath side fins...whatcha think?

So, since my new betta[ he still doesnt have a name] is such a piggy, I decided to see how many pellets hed eat...well, I stopped at ten, cause i dont need him getting sick!
Its just my other two didnt eat alot at all, so this is new!

Although, after he was done eating, I noticed the area directly beneath his dorsal fins was bulging slightly. Not pineconing, just slightly bigger than the rest of him.
I wonder, is this because of all the food i fed him, or could it be an enlarging liver? Or maybe, he is really a she? I havent heard alot about ,males getting stress stripes easily, and taking him home, he was all stress stripey...And i was thinking maybe the bulgey area is him/her being eggy?
Attached Images

LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:13 AM   #2 
Luimeril

10 pellets is WAY too many! he's just all full up. don't feed him tomorrow, and it should go down. most people don't feed more than 6 pellets per day total.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #3 
Myrtaceae

I like splitting it up and doing 2-3 pellets in the morning and 2-3 at night. Weekends frozen food. I've never tried to feed a betta that much at once before! Healthy bettas usually are little pigs and will beg for more food than is good for them. Do not be tempted by their cuteness!
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #4 
audjree

yup, that is way too much! please don't try to play that game "let's see how much he can eat before stopping." i know it's hard to resist betta's little "feed me" dance, but most of these piggies can and will eat 10-30+ pellets consecutively, and by then, they'd be seriously bloated.

only feed about 4 pellets a day, or 6 if the pellets are tiny, 2-3 per feeding.
for now, don't feed him for a day or two, and hopefully, he'll flush out his system and be back to normal.

also, usually the way to know the difference between males and females: males- long fins, females- short fins. that's pretty much the gist, with a few exceptions.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:27 AM   #5 
LyzzaRyzz

I usually feed two to three at a time, but my other. Etta's used to wait til the pellets go softer, this one just suctions them right up!
I'm never feeding him that much again!
I have a feeding station where I drop his food, and he'll just sit under it, staring, hoping to catch the pellet the moment it touches the water..

I'm an over worrying mommy..

Also, my tank has a small filter and it produces a lot of air bubbles, which my little guy loves, though how ami supposed to tell the difference between air bubbles he gets playing around the filter, and ick? My last two dies from ick[ they were in a divided tank] and I want to keep a sharp look out for it!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #6 
Myates

You'll see them darting and "scratching" against objects in the tank, and the white grains you can see are like salt and solid- air bubbles can be tiny, but you can check back on him after a couple of hours and they most likely will be gone if just bubbles.

Are they normal sized pellets, or mini?

He's a he :)

It may of been the pellets you saw expanding him- their stomachs are about the size of their eyes, so look at his eye and imagine filling it with 10 pellets.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #7 
LyzzaRyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
You'll see them darting and "scratching" against objects in the tank, and the white grains you can see are like salt and solid- air bubbles can be tiny, but you can check back on him after a couple of hours and they most likely will be gone if just bubbles.

Are they normal sized pellets, or mini?

He's a he :)

It may of been the pellets you saw expanding him- their stomachs are about the size of their eyes, so look at his eye and imagine filling it with 10 pellets.
Occasionally, he rubs his face on the terra outta pot I have in there, but he doesn't seem to like the feel, cause he tweaks out for a second..but hen he does it again! There are no salt grains that stay in one place, always in different spots, usually on one side or the other...

I'm assuming the pellets I have are regular sized, I didn't even know there were mini ones!

I'm fasting him til after Christmas, to see if he slims down...I hope so!