Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #11 
Rosso1011

I share your fear of birds as well. I do okay with wild birds but the bigger birds, cockatoos, cockatiels, etc... scare me. Do not bring them near me, those birds are mean, make too much noise, and they are so dirty. ><
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #12 
BettaHeart

This Peach, a little lovebird that was given to us because the previous owner didnt want it

Name:  037.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  16.6 KB

Name:  035.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  18.0 KB

Name:  028.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  65.8 KB
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #13 
PaintingPintos

Talking

I have 2 birds. I used to have a cockatiel who loved me to DEATH (he'd regurgitate his seeds on me- an intense sign of affection. Not as yucky as you think. It was like bird seed.. only... sticky..) but he died due to mysterious illness.
Well Angel I got for Christmas in '08 after the cockatiel Cookie died, and he instantly bonded with me. I didn't want a parakeet, but he was just so CA-YOOT and quiet. He has stripes all the way down to his nostrils, telling me he was still a baby. My guess is that he was 3 months old when I got him. He was shy and didn't move when people were in the room. I hand-tamed him (took me about a month to completely desensitize him), let him fly around the house, fed him, played with him, etc. He LOOOOOVES me and he bobs his head to me (also intense sign of affection, regurgitating behavior but not throwing up on me LOL) and he sings to me, "preens" me when he's on me, and tried to...er... remove things on me that don't belong on birds (ex: ears). He's supersweet and playful. In March of '09 my uncle brought me a female budgie who was unintentionally abused and neglected by a 5-year-old boy who had promised to take care of a puppy, but wasn't responsible enough and needed a "tester" pet- cheap, wouldn't be expensive if it were injured or died. So he didn't take care of it, and the bird wasn't tame! He'd let her out of her cage to "play" which was more like catching a bird with your bare hands and squeezing it and pulling at its feathers. Which is where she got her biting behavior..
So I recieved her in a teeny tiny cage (about 12x12x13 inches, which is pitifuly small, even for a canary.), with dozens of bitten, scratched, and broken toys. All shoved into that little cage. Aaaand she had no room to flap her wings. And the perches were the same size plastic with ridges. Her poor, sore feet!
So I let her out of her cage, left the door open, put some treats in it, and found out that because the boy caught her so much in midair, she didn't know how to land! I let the poor thing flap around (she was overwight and underexercised) and waved my arms to scare her so she'd land on my bed so she wouldn't hurt herself.
So now she's perfectly tame, and lives in a nice, medium-size cage with Angel. Angel and Sky! I love them to bits. She doesn't bite anymore, though she has random pecking fits that she goes into when she sits on my hand. She randomly starts pecking at my hands, like she's restraining herself from biting.. I'm glad she restrains herself

But she's an initelligent bird. So is Angel. I talk to him in a baby voice so when he tries to mimic me, if often comes out like this:
Mewemememeweeeee
So, Angel will forever be preening me, "budgieing" (bobbing his head for me), beating up his toys (especially his favorites-bells), and chattering his head off like a maniac. His songs are so sweet and warbling, though in the morning at the crack of dawn he does start out with a rather annoying, crackly song, similar to the sound that you hear when you crinkle newspaper and listen to a video tape get ruined and all the tape unravel and fall out, if you know what I mean. Here is a similar song to what Angel likes to sing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzu97...eature=related
and a cute picture of Angel. And a beagle puppy that my neighbor brought to my house to show me :D (he breeds beagles as hunting dogs for a living)
Attached Images

PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote