Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #1 
Orca

Unhappy Sick little Wallmart fish, please help diagnose! :(

Main question is: What exactly is wrong with him and am I doing enough?

I'm treating this guy with a few CCs of Melafix just to give him an all-around antibiotic to fix the bacterial infections. He hasn't eaten since I got him, even though he'll act somewhat tempted --- I've tried using frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp as well as crushed pellets.

He's housed in a gallon critter-keeper, the water level is about half-way to give him a boost up to the waterline. He gets daily water changes (I've only had him about three days) and a squirt or two of some water conditioner with aloe.

There's a white haze on both eyes and they're a little bulged out. He's got little white specks that look like ich, and holes in his tail and all his fins. His dorsal fin is frayed and looks as if it's rotting away.

Full Body:

Close-up of tail (eye looks more popped because of the magnification of the tank corner):

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Orca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #2 
callmeconfused

Just a warning, i have had problems with melafix and bettafix. About half of my bettas have been sensitive to it, acting extremely lethargic when i used it.
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #3 
Tobythefish

Melafix and Bettafix have a potential to harm a betta's Labyrinth I've heard. You should probably stop using it. Good luck:)
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #4 
bettalover2000

What I'm thinking is he probably has a combination of popeye, fin rot, and ich. My girl had popeye, I'm not sure what healed her, but I would recommend
getting a heater if you don't already have one (it would speed up recovery x10).
Also check out these threads Betta Fish Disease and Treatment Part 1
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333
Good luck!

P.S. Your boy is like my boy's twin! They look a lot alike. lol
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

I would start him on an ich medication and epsom salt at 1 tsp/gal (Dissolve before adding, no scents or colors to it either). It's important to get the swelling down along with the parasites taken care of.

Clean water is usually enough to start clearing their eyes up, and it'll help more once the swelling goes down and he can focus on just one issue to fight.

Overall he looks relatively healthy compared to most of the Walmart bettas I've seen.

Follow instructions for your ick medication for water changes. Once that's gone, if his eyes are still swollen, change his water every day again and possibly bump the epsom salt up to 2 tsp/gal.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

Some people say melefix and bettafix work others say its dangerous.

Quote:
•Symptoms: Betta has white dots (looks like he was sprinkled with salt) all over his body and head, even eyes. Lethargic, No appetite, Clamped Fins, Might dart and scratching against decor
•Treatment: You can treat Ick either conservatively or with medication. Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F. Then you can choose to treat with salt or medication. Conservative: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then it can be difficult to heat the water. There are heaters for smaller containers, but you can also float the quarantine container in a larger heated tank during treatment. Do a full water change every day and add an appropriate amount of medication to the water.
•Alternative Treatment: Personally, I have not found Ick medications very effective. I prefer to use PP to treat all external parasites. In the past, I have used 3 or 4 different ick medications unsuccessfully, and every time I resort to PP which works like a charm. Do lots of research before using PP as it is a more dangerous chemical than most.

If you are doing epsom salt, ignore the part about the Aquarium salt. I do not think they can be mixed.
I used quick cure for a walmart fishie that had a mild case of ick. You can find it at walmart but if you use follow the instructions. The active ingredient is Malachite Green which I am told is pretty potent stuff and aparently causes cancer in california or so the warning label says
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #7 
NewFishyOwner

wow good to know.
NewFishyOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Hi Orca and welcome to the forum.

Pretty guy. Definitely looks like some ich on him.

In general, I don't advise using Melafix, Pimafix, or Bettafix. Two of them contain tea tree oil, which can potentially harm a betta's labyrinth organ, as Tobythefish said. This is the organ they use to breath air from the surface with. The third, Pimafix, contains clove oil; in its pure form, clove oil is used to euthanize fish. All are potentially fatal if accidentally overdosed.

When treating ich, it's important to change 100% of the water every day because you want to remove all the parasites that fall off into the water before they can reproduce or reattach.

Those are the only things I can think of, everyone else has got you covered pretty well. I'd definitely advise following Pata's advice and using an ich med and 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon.

Good luck with him! We're glad you rescued him.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #9 
BettaRepublic

I don't have much experience as the Fishy Doctor, but I've been hearing the salts work like a charm. I, personally, don't EVER think Bettafix is a good idea. I also don't use dechlorinator. (Much to the disgust of other members; instead the water sits for 48 hrs. Long story short, be careful about the chemicals. :)
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #10 
Pitluvs

If I didn't use water conditioner, even after sitting for 48h, my fish would be dead. What may work for you may not work for others, and as it's something we really don't advise... I wouldn't be telling new members to do it. Everyones water and comfort levels are different.

Looks like you're in good hands, good luck with your boy! He sure came with a grab bag of issues didn't he :) He's handsome.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote