Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #1 
Bettabuddy4

Hey, I'm new and have a quick question

Hey, I'm new here, and have been looking around and getting answers to some of my questions, but there is one that I'm minda worried about. My little Betta Victoria was given to me by a friend, she has a 2ish gallon bowl, she used to be completly red, but latly her stomach has been turning white, is this normal? She has no heater, and no filter, I'm working on getting enough money to buy her a heater, some plants and a 5 gal tank, with a filter.
Bettabuddy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Need some more info....water temp, how much and how often have you been changing the water, type of additives used, how long have you had her, any other signs/symptom-like buoyancy problems, bloated, scales sticking up, clamp fins, flashing, lethargic...etc....is she eating and pooping okay and how much/what kind of food....can you post a pic.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #3 
Bettabuddy4

Thanks .I've had Victoria for about a week, I have no idea how old she is I have no idea what flashing is, I don't know what clamped fins look like, she doesn't like eating her flakes, so I've been feeding her about 10 flakes at a time about 3 times a day, she doesn't eat much of it though her food is BettaMin Tropical Medley (I'd like to get her some pellets) she's very lethargic, her scales are staying down, no boyuancy problems, I've been changing the water about once a week, 100% changes, the picture will be a little hard but I can try. Oh, her water temp is prob in the 60-70's. She was given as an unexpectd gift from a friend who is moving, and she only gave me food and water condtier. I recently covered up a mirror next to her and she's slightly better.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like she may be too cold and possibly some water quality issue with all the left over/uneaten food......

If you don't have a heater-move her the the warmest part of the house-try to keep the water temp at least 74-75F.Ideally she need to be at least 76-80F.......long term too low temp can really compromise them and by the sounds of her...it is starting....

Also, you need to remove any uneaten food and I would even hold food for a day-since she isn't eating anyway due to the cold water....Once you get her water temp up some and she ask for food-feed small amounts-one flake at a time...good that you plan to get pellets-that will make it easier....

You also need to increase the water changes in the 2gal unfiltered tank to-twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality.....

Be sure and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with the 50% water changes and don't use water that is any warmer than about 5 degrees than the tank water
Be sure and acclimate her back to the water chemistry with the 100% water change by adding small amount of the new dechlorinated water to her holding container over 10-15 min so you don't shock her....

Do you have any heated aquariums or is this the only fish you have....the reason I ask is because if you have a heated tank you can place her in a small covered container and float her in the heated tank to maintain temp....water temp is really important for this tropical fish....cold too long may kill her...

Flashing is when a fish rubs themselves on objects in the tank...like scratching...
Clamp fins is when they hold their fins next to the body
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #5 
Bettabuddy4

She doesn't flash, nor does she have clamped fins, I'm afraid to fast her because she's so skinny. My mom won't let me increase my water changes, because se says our last betts (8 years ago) lived in a smaller tank with no filter and no heater, and he lived to be 3. I'm hoping to at least get a heater, but I have moved her down to the warmest room, so hopefully the dog won't want to investigate. I did manage to get a picture of her though, she's very camera shy, and the white parts look clear. The water also looks yellow on one side, but that's just the coloring of the wall. I have no idea how old she is, but my friend says she has lived in these codtions her entire life, and has always been this way about eating.
Name:  214.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  36.5 KB