Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #1 
CreativePotato

Question Betta Transportation

Forgive me if someone's asked about this already. On Wednesday I'll be taking a trip to Ohio, about a two and a half hour drive. Now, I usually just put Kaida in the small PetCo Critter Keeper and try to keep him as level as possible, but it really seems to stress him out. And this time, I'll be toting two bettas and I don't know what the stress-free-est way to transport them both. Should I ask for some fish bags at PetCo aand bring the Critter Keeper and some water to put them in once back on solid, unmoving ground? What do you guys do?
CreativePotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #2 
Jrf456

This is a toughy.. But what usually works for me on my trips is to place them on the floor board and have it covered by something- darkness makes it a little easier. I also suggest placing objects around the critter keeper to hold it in place.

Good luck, and Happy Holidays from my bettas and I to you and yours!
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #3 
kitkatbar

I've got an idea...Do you know those drink containers that have multiple slots for drinks? Izze has them...some sodas do such as Jones or old Coca Cola bottles. Basically any drink that comes in 4-pack bottle or so.

Anyway, the drink boxes have great slots that are perfectly shaped for a cup. So, if you still have the cup from the pet store (or cover any other shorter-ish tumbler--you can cover the top with mesh and a rubber band) you can put your bettas in two separate cups in two of the drink slots.

Then you can find a basket or something of a larger size to then put the drink box inside of. Finally, put a scarf or towel or blanket or something soft in the gaps between the edges of the basket or box and your juice box inside. Just keep adding soft things until the juice box doesn't move too much when you wiggle it.This will keep the fish from getting jostled too much. If you happen to use a basket, you can even loop the seat belt through the handle!

PM me and I can send a JPEG of the carrier idea. I didn't really want to put it on the public forums because I had the image in a a booklet for college, and I'd like to keep the rights to it :).

Last edited by kitkatbar; 12-24-2011 at 04:59 PM.
kitkatbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #4 
LilyK

I transport my two bettas from VA to PA (about a 6 hour drive with no traffic) in Critter Keepers that serve as transport tanks and temp homes. I lower the water level down and wrap both in towels and fit them pretty snug in my front seat (with the seatbelt over them). They travel pretty well that way and don't seem to terribly stressed out upon arrival. Hope that helps!
LilyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Got any suggestions for transporting 22 bettas on a 5,000 mile road trip that will take several days?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote