Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #1 
Loveless

Angry Ugh!

Not really sure where to put this as it's not exactly ABOUT my betta, but definitely concern's his health.

Okay, so I'm home for the home for the holidays. My grandmother is staying with us and shares a room with me. Not to big of a deal.

But when she realized I had a fish, she would not leave him alone. She would bang on the glass and scream at the tank, trying to get him to come out of hiding because she wanted 'to see the pretty fish'. I repeatedly told her to stop, that he was sick (was still recovering from finrot), and that she was stressing him out more. She wouldn't listen and continued to pester him. He took a couple chunks out of his tail due to this and ended up looking a lot more ragged then he could have.

She finally grew bored of him and he was able to recover, though isn't looking so pretty right now.

Then I went to do his water change today. Well, when she first came here, I told her the bucket by the tank is for water changes only. I told her that she couldn't use it as it would endanger Dynamo's health. She told me she knew and that she wouldn't use it. I grabbed the bucket and to my dismay there were two wet, soapy wash clothes in it.

I've tried talking to her and that hasn't seemed to work. Does anyone have any idea how I can get her to ACTUALLY listen to me? I don't want her to do anything else that could hurt him.
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

This can be a tough one.....I would move your Betta and all the supplies-especially the food if you can so that maybe she can't get to any of it.....if thats not an option....maybe talk with your parents and see if they will talk with her about the issue.....
Is your grandmother...how can I say this....does she have mental or health problems-like demented, Alzheimer disease, in a wheelchair or anything like that.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #3 
eaglescout434

Thats a tough situation... i could only suggest maybe moving the tank into a different room.. maybe in a spot with very little traffic to where she dosnt notice it as much. Good luck hope he recovers!
eaglescout434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #4 
Loveless

The only place she doesn't go constantly is my parents room but it doesn't have any outlets in it.

She's a realitively healthy woman. She doesn't have any mental problems and her memory is excellent. She has acid reflux, but that's really it. She's actually probably in better health then my mom.

I'll probably talk to my parents tonight. I don't think they'd do much about it, but it's worth asking.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #5 
eaglescout434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveless View Post
The only place she doesn't go constantly is my parents room but it doesn't have any outlets in it.

She's a realitively healthy woman. She doesn't have any mental problems and her memory is excellent. She has acid reflux, but that's really it. She's actually probably in better health then my mom.

I'll probably talk to my parents tonight. I don't think they'd do much about it, but it's worth asking.
If its not too much trouble you could string an extention cord into their room if you had one! Just trying to help
Old 12-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #6 
Loveless

Not sure if we have one or not, but I can dig around and see if I can find one!
Old 12-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #7 
eaglescout434

Sounds good if you cant find one hardware stores and walmart will have them for a pretty cheap price expecially now that the christmas lights are on sale!
Old 12-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #8 
Loveless

True. If my dad agrees I'm sure I can do that. Setting up one we already have and moving the tank is one thing. Having to go out and buy one is quite another.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #9 
eaglescout434

And expensive!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #10 
Loveless

Well that wouldn't be a problem for my parents, just myself! They never buy anything for me anymore.