Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #1 
Dmarie

posted 2 weeks ago...need some expert advice plz

Hello & Merry Christmas to everyone! 2 weeks ago I posted about my Betta, "snappy", he had a terrible pop eye that I originally thought had actually popped out, a growth between his eye & mouth started at the same time. long story short...I first had him on bettafix & aquarium salt in hospital tank, heated, then pimafix & epson salt, I saw slight improvement but not enough after 5 days. 2 days ago I started jungle fungus clear & epson salts. In two days I he seems a little more improved, slightly more movement & interest in eating. His eye is back to brown but the growth is still there, it seems a slightly smaller & has turned completely white. My question is can I combine the fungus clear with the pimafix? I also have (not used) api tetracycline if needed. I appreciate it. Im completely frustrated with finding out such conflicting info & I dont want to do anything that will harm him. What would you do?
Dmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Does the growth look kind of like cauliflower? Whitish, lumpy? If so, then what your betta actually has is something called lymphocystis. You might want to google it and see if the pics match up with your boy.

If he does have lymphocystis, then this is a viral infection and there is nothing you can do. It will have to run its course. It is almost always non-fatal but it can be troublesome when the growths appear on the head like they have with your boy. The growth may become big and obscure his vision but hopefully they won't get so big they make it hard for him to eat.

It will take a few months for this disease to run its course. During this time, you need to keep the water as clean as possible with lots of water changes. It's not unusual for the growth to burst, leaving behind an open wound that can easily become infected in dirty water. If that happens, his chances of survival drop significantly. Also, this is a contagious disease so if you have any other fish, do your best not to cross-contaminate.

Hold off on any other medicines for the moment, until we can tell for sure if he has lymphocystis. Another pic of his face would be helpful, if you can. If you can't, I understand. It's hard to take pics of these guys sometimes.

I hope this info helps and keep us updated.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #3 
Dmarie

Thank you so much for replying, I have heard of lymphocystis while reseaching & it sure does seem to be just that, Im doing the water changes daily right now, should I stay with the es? Yes it is big enough that he has trouble seeing, I have another hospital tank ready if it ruptures so I can get him out of that water right away if that happens. Im so fussy about his water, i didnt think he would get ever get a disease. I think the most disturbing to me is the lack of knowledge at pet stores, petco, I cant believe they sell these little guys & give incorrect (deadly) info or none at all. Unbeliveable! Thank God for the internet & forums like this! Thank you again!
Dmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Sounds like you've got it under control then. I'm not sure how much the ES will help but it won't hurt him to stay in it so if you don't mind dosing it with every water change, by all means, go for it. It may help to keep the swelling down, not sure. Poor guy, must be hard for him. I really hope it doesn't start to interfere with his eating.

Since it's a viral infection, I think it's transmitted in a different way than most waterborne diseases (like fungal, bacterial, etc). Not sure exactly how, I'll have to research that.

I agree with you! Honestly, pet store employees should have to read some fish books or something so they know what they're talking about. And I'll probably go to my grave still annoyed that no pet store advises heaters for bettas. How hard can it be to say to a customer, "You'll need a heater and water conditioner for this fish."?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote