Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #1 
NewFishyOwner

Day3 with My Baby Girl Betta suggestions or helpful hints

I have one girl Betta. She seems really young compared to the other ones I saw at the store, wich by the way was Walmart. I bought her a One Gallon Fish Bowl. I have put gravel in, my mom cleaned everything before putting her in her new fish bowl. It has a lid and has a light also above her and her air hole where I also feed her thorugh. I bought her yesterday a fish tank logg, plastic with silky plants that are also for fish tanks. My mom says she will be changing the water ounce a week every week 100% of the water.

For food I give her BettaMin Tropical Medly flakes by Tetra ounce a day because she is so small. So far dayly because she is active and fine and normal fish activity. I also used Betta Safe water Conditioner also by Tetra. I also bought yesterday on her second day Aquarium Salt by Jungle. I will be using it when I change the water soon. She is a "Vailtail" as per the cup she came in.

I also moved her to my room so she can be kept as warm as possible. She was at 74.23 now her temp is 76.24. I know it is not ideal since it should be 78 but I am really doing the best I can. I can't put a heater in and I was thinking will a heating pad help at least for the cold season?

The one time I had a Betta Fish he lasted a year or so and he only lived in a small cup for Betta's back in the 90's so I think I have done my very, very best for her.

Any other suggestions or help I can use to make sure she is thriving as much as possible?
NewFishyOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #2 
NewFishyOwner

Well good news I'll be getting that heater soon sometime next week and my mom says changing the water twice a week is fine and she will be doing it a 100% change of the water and cleaning. So I think with this she should be more than fine.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Congrats on your new Betta....sounds like a good plan, however, I would not use the salt on a regular basis...its not needed or good for Bettas-it is great to use for the right reason, duration and dosage in a small QT container...just not long term.....

In a 1gal unfiltered tank without live plants-twice weekly water changes-1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality...good that you plan to get a heater to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range

Be sure and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with the 50% water changes and try to keep the water temp within a few degrees between the new and old water

When you make the 100% water change-be sure and re-acclimate her back to the water chemistry by adding small amounts of the new tank water to her holding container over 10-15 min....

Look forward to seeing pic and hearing more about your Betta adventures....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #4 
NewFishyOwner

Well I put up new pictures of her new 5 gallon tank. The Acclimation thing is what I think I did wrong. I did the best not to stress her but perhaps I was way off. Other than that she seems to be doing fine. She is going nuts with her reflection though. She has a filter on now and a 10w heater.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #5 
NewFishyOwner

Oh the pics are in the Aquarium thread and Accesories. There are also pictures of her old tank up there and in the picture sections as well.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:24 AM   #6 
NewFishyOwner

Help going nuts with all this information!
Here is her new 5 gallon tank, from her old plastic 1 gallon fish bowl/ I got her a new heater, it is filtered, aperently I did not cycle the thing. Her eyes from blue are turning redish sorta but still blue. she does eat and swims and is active. She eats Tetra BettaMin M<edly Flakes that have 48% Protain, Fish meal first Ingridient. I got her Omega Frezzed Dried Bloood Worms with 55% protain and new fake plants so she has more hiding places. But still feel like is not enough and I 'm a bad mommy HELP I;m going nust with all the inf. I have the water conditiner used it Tetra also

Last edited by NewFishyOwner; 12-29-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #7 
mthain

Hey there! Welcome to the hobby... and relax! You're doing very well and It's obvious that you care very much about the welfare of your fish. I'm also new to betta fish and found all the information a little overwhelming at first. Listen to Oldfishlady, she helped me a lot With regards to your tank and the cycle issue - don't worry about it. You have a small tank (like me), what's important is that the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels dont get too high. There's an easy way to test that, get your self a water testing kit. Liquid tests are the most accurate, I use strip tests for a general idea of the water quality (however I change the water regularly so I know the water is fine). From what I've read, it seems that that's all you need to keep an eye on - the water. You're doing the water changes, so don't stress yourself

Hope I've helped.
mthain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #8 
Klute

NFO - I have the same Chi Tank and had the same heater and was having the same issues with my Betta. I replaced the heater with a 25W programable heater. My office was pretty cold and the heater was not strong enough. I have the water up to 76 degrees and my Betta is now swimming throughout the tank showing off to everyone and giving off Chi...

Good luck with the Chi......
Klute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #9 
NewFishyOwner

Thanks Klute and mthain and OldFishLady. I have the new 5 gallon like Koute's so now I changed the water yesterday to her new tank. Not a full water change but 50%. The heater apperently heats. I will be buying a new heater and a new thermometor to make sure it is working right.
She seems to be doing ok but well I'm keeping a watchful eye on her every day. She seems to be also getting some white cotonny thing on her bottom of her gills. Will be posting pictures of everything soonish. Thanks again soooooo much guys.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #10 
NewFishyOwner

Here is the Link To her new 5 gallon tank!
Take a look.\ http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=88859
More Pics will be posted up in there soon!