Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #1 
thekoimaiden

Need conformation on disease

Happy Holidays!! Guess what my pink VT gave me? I'm thinking fin rot, but I wanted to run it past everyone here first because there seem to be other complications. First let me fill out the sticky:

Housing
What size is your tank? Divided 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Bubble filter
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Snails, male on other side of divider, live plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikaru Bio-gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1x per week on Sunday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Last testing was as follows (haven't been able to test for about a week due to traveling)

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 6.6
Hardness: on the softer side
Alkalinity: low-ish (City water is on the soft side but not overly so; I also have driftwood in the tank)

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? See picture for fin degradation
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nope still as mean as Scrooge
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today when I got back from traveling
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No treatment, but I have quarantined him
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope; always been healthy as an ox
How old is your fish (approximately)? Just under a year maybe; bought him in early summer

I'm attaching the best picture I have of his fin. I'll do my best to describe it. His anal fin appears to be losing color and breaking away at the front tip. Where I can see the damaged fin ripping from the healthy fin it is red. I think the dead fin might be rotting because I see white cottony growth on it. I do have sedative that I can knock him out with if I need to remove any tissue.

Due to the holiday the only thing I will have access to for the next few days is aquarium salt.

I'm sorry if I missed anything. Not only is my fish sick, but my boyfriend is recovering from reconstructive surgery. I'm a bit of a basketcase right now. Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Images

thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:17 AM   #2 
ninjaofthe9seas

Thats what I would guess... Thats what Henny's fin looked like and the Fin Rot treatment worked. Wait for better opinions though. I'm still a newbie. Good Luck.
ninjaofthe9seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #3 
Sakura8

It does seem like he's got fin rot or a case of columnaris on the fins. I'd advise 3 tsps of AQ salt and lower the heat a bit in case it IS columnaris, since that disease thrives in warm temperatures. When you can get to the pet stores, Kanamycin is a good bet, or Maracyn 1 and 2 in combo. I'm no expert on removing tissue or anything so I'll leave that up to your discretion. If parts of his fins do begin to blacken alarmingly and rapidly, it may be something you might consider if you're comfortable performing the procedure.

Good luck with him and what a stinker for giving you this holiday gift!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:35 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Definitely fin rot.... could be columnaris. Just follow what Sakura said I do not recommend stressing the fish, by sedating and removing tissue. This not only can lead way to other infections, but stress will not make things better. Best to let it be, and it should heal on it's own with proper care and medications
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Thanks guys! I've started salt to treat for fin rot. The infected fin area has fallen off leaving a red edge. I don't see any cottony growth on his fins or mouth. When I do, I will race to the petstore to get antibiotics. I'm also keeping an eye on his buddy in the other tank.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

red edges, is not very good... at least in my own opinion. keep an eye on it, and good luck :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

To give everyone an update: I have been treating him for fin rot (5ml/gal AQ salt) and it seems to be working. The red edges have disappeared, but I haven't seen any new growth. I think it may have been stress-induced not resulting from water quality. I'm going to give him more hiding spaces to see if that clears up some of his stress.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Thanks for the update. I'm glad the red edges went away and hopefully that new growth will show up very soon. He's a handsome betta, such a lovely color too.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #9 
thekoimaiden

Thanks! He's much more pink in normal lighting and even shows some marbling spots (like 3 I think). But now I have another worry. I have the ZooMed Bettatherm bowl heater in his quarantine bowl, and it gets this funny white growth on it. It makes me nervous because I've never seen anything like it. I washed it in chlorinated water last night when I changed the water, and the growth appears to have slowed. Has anyone else seen this? Should this be a cause for alarm? I see no white fuzzy growth on Poofer.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Is it like a slime almost? The flat Hydor heater I used got that too. It was nasty to touch. I think it's just what one member once called "heater snot." Harmless but gross. It may be some kind of harmless microbacteria that likes the heat. I don't know. But as far as I know, just keep wiping it off when it gets too disgusting.