Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #1 
CountryGirlRina

New betta for me?

I'm thinking about getting another betta. I already have a tank but I'm not sure if it's big enough. It's a 1.5 gallon and I have everything else for it besides a heater which I would be able to purchase soon. So I guess my question is, is a 1.5 a big enough tank for a new betta?
CountryGirlRina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #2 
wnppmy

I'm experimenting with mine as have a 1 gallon bowl, tho live plant to reduce ammonia levels, so far in this unfiltered setup he is making bubbles and eats well 3 to 4 pellets daily. Temperature by a light top reaches 77 degrees. These are minimum sizes and requires vigilance on water changes. Mines over 10 days old now and active. 5 gallon is better, perhaps 2.5 gallon the better minimum size which I likely will use later. It may work, bigger sizes will require easier maintenance. It's your call.
wnppmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #3 
Myates

A 1.5 gallon is just fine for a single betta :)

I have a couple in 1 gallons myself, and none in anything larger then 3 gal. There is no real minimum size- what matters most is care rather then size. You can't safely heat a half gallon or less appropriately, so that is where size comes into play.

For anything unfiltered 1 - 5 gallons you will want to be doing 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week using conditioner.

Basically, for anything under 5 gallons, it's the same care- for filtered it would be 2 50% per week (1 water only, 1 vacuuming), and for unfiltered 1 50% and 1 100% per week. Why I laugh when people say to get a 2.5 rather then a 1 gallon because of easier maintenance when they require the same water changes (depending upon filter). And anything under 5 gallons you won't have a stable cycle.
If there are enough live plants you could lessen it a bit, but weekly water changes are always a must, regardless of size.

From 1-4 gallons it's more of your preference, how much space you have to put a tank at, and how much you want to spend on decorations. So I say, anything under 5 gallons is up to you what you want to spend and have- as the care for them is the same.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #4 
wnppmy

Again I'm new to the Betta, experimenting with the neat Marimo Moss Ball, did do the 50 percent water change, next abit less as the live plant seems to help, zero clouding todate. Added two Ghost Shrimp, will add small amont of flake food for them, Betta ignores the flakes, likes his pellets. Been a fun learning so far.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #5 
Myates

With live plants you may be able to get away with 2 50% water changes per week- siphon waste you see periodically- allowing some time to go between it so the plant could use it for fertilizer. A turkey baster works good to remove waste in a small tank.

Is the moss ball the only live plant you have? As it won't do what plants would do for the tank..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:29 AM   #6 
wnppmy

Marimo Ball is just a single plant, but a condensed moss, an info mentions it even keeps algae from forming, not sure on that, however water stays quite clear with just the single plant.
Sure a baster works, I don't like stiring up bacteria up into the water, just me, plan to replace or rinse clean it during a water change.
Did have a Marine tank only 15 gallons with clown fish and live rock for near 10 years, zero loss of fish, and zero water change. Established it with green water long before the now cultured bacteria available now. Can do far better now with conditioners and correct water change. Our local barber had an amazing marine tank, correct water changes etc, but locals kept reaching into the tank and had to take it home,sigh, was a beauty.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #7 
wnppmy

Theses Ghost Shrimp need cover especially with a Betta, here is my new entry on the Moss Ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOt2q...e_gdata_player