Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #11 
peaches3221

he is BEAUTIFUL little guy! I love his colors! ^.^

the mediaum KK is about 2 gal, right? may I ask how often you do a WC and what amount? I have a 2 gal which I just set up on Thursday and I already had a slight ammonia spike and had to do a 50%
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #12 
Jrf456

Great pictures.. He's definitely one to be proud of, gorgeous! (:
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #13 
DragonFish

Thank you very much!! <33

peaches3221: Roughly 2 gallons I believe, yes.
Out of mostly habit, I change my KKs and my 1.8 about every other day 100% or occasionally every couple of days if something comes up or if I'm sick.

2-3 times a week 100% changes was the recommended regimen for 2-2.5 gallons when I first started keeping and I've just sort of....kept with it. More recently most seem to recommended 1-50% and 1-100% per week in an unfiltered 1-2 gallon(I believe the argument has to do with exposing your fish to the bad pathogens in the water in order to build up their immune system in case you can't get to a water change for whatever reason)....I'm not too fond of that regimen personally. I find my fish start to get a tad unhappy after a couple of days..and for me, 50% changes are a bit more haste and stress then a quick 100%. I've never had any problems over the past couple of years, even when there were times when I had to miss water changes for a length of time for various reasons. I'm, personally, not too sold on the less frequent, 'don't want your water too clean' thing.

But thats just my experience, and therefore my old-fashioned regimen. xD

Really, the way we keep our lovely fined friends is always changing, we're always learning new ways to do things and such. A lot of it is personal experience and opinions. Even with breeders; they all have their own special spawning techniques, taken from research and personal experience.

So, in order to avoid conflict of opinion as most everyone else will recommend the less frequent changes....I would say experiment for a week or two. Test your water daily for ammonia and make changes accordingly. If you find a 50% takes care of it, then your set. If it looks like it might need a 100%(which you'll definitely want to do at the very least once a week though no matter what), then go for the 100%. Eventually you'll fall into a routine that works best for you, and your fish. ;)

Last edited by DragonFish; 12-25-2011 at 09:11 PM.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #14 
LyzzaRyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Thank you very much!! <33

peaches3221: Roughly 2 gallons I believe, yes.
Out of mostly habit, I change my KKs and my 1.8 about every other day 100% or occasionally every couple of days if something comes up or if I'm sick.

2-3 times a week 100% changes was the recommended regimen for 2-2.5 gallons when I first started keeping and I've just sort of....kept with it. More recently most seem to recommended 1-50% and 1-100% per week in an unfiltered 1-2 gallon(I believe the argument has to do with exposing your fish to the bad pathogens in the water in order to build up their immune system in case you can't get to a water change for whatever reason)....I'm not too fond of that regimen personally. I find my fish start to get a tad unhappy after a couple of days..and for me, 50% changes are a bit more haste and stress then a quick 100%. I've never had any problems over the past couple of years, even when there were times when I had to miss water changes for a length of time for various reasons. I'm, personally, not too sold on the less frequent, 'don't want your water too clean' thing.

But thats just my experience, and therefore my old-fashioned regimen. xD

Really, the way we keep our lovely fined friends is always changing, we're always learning new ways to do things and such. A lot of it is personal experience and opinions. Even with breeders; they all have their own special spawning techniques, taken from research and personal experience.

So, in order to avoid conflict of opinion as most everyone else will recommend the less frequent changes....I would say experiment for a week or two. Test your water daily for ammonia and make changes accordingly. If you find a 50% takes care of it, then your set. If it looks like it might need a 100%(which you'll definitely want to do at the very least once a week though no matter what), then go for the 100%. Eventually you'll fall into a routine that works best for you, and your fish. ;)
Thanks for clarifying.. i too find a 100% is quicker with a smaller tank. I have a 2,5, thats got a 5 gal internal sponge filter, what do you reccomend for me?
You seem to really know your stuff, and youre open minded to other people, and even offer a well thought out solution...Thank you!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #15 
DragonFish

Aww, why thank you so much! xD I try. I certainly don't know everything, but I think I've been around long enough to pick up some things. And, like I said, really aside from the basic general feeding, heating, some cleaning(as in ammonia is definitely going to build up after a week in anything 5 gallons and under thats not filtered and cycled), and space requirements I don't think there is any one specific way to keep your fish....which is why I suggest the testing experiment. After all, the goal is to eliminate ammonia so it doesn't harm your fish....what better way to do it then to test and change accordingly if you're uncertain? It may be a little work in the beginning, but I think its the best way to find out for sure.

Anywho....sorry xD; I'm a writer ^^; I get a little...wordy....
Lets see....a filtered 2.5 you say? Do you plan to cycle it/is it already cycled?
I don't cycle my smaller tanks because I'm just simply too lazy....its just so much easier to scoot up the fish for a few minutes, give everything a quick rinse, fill it up, and go about my business two or three times a week. Anything under 3 gallons can be a little hard to establish a stable cycle, from what I've heard....though its possible. I just don't bother with it personally xD

If the tank is cycled/you are planning to cycle then watch all your levels carefully....Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate that is....to make sure nothing spikes and everything stays stable for a while and all that. I believe for a stable cycled 2.5, a good regimen is two 50%s a week, one with just water only and one with gravel vacuuming...or at least, thats what I've seen recommended, and that sounds about right.
If you're in the process of cycling, treat it like most any newly cycled tank(assuming you're doing a fish-in cycle; disregard if you're not.). Test your levels once or twice a day and preform water changes...25%-50% usually, without disturbing the gravel to allow the good bacteria to grow....accordingly to keep ammonia and/or nitrite levels down until you have stable readings of 0 Ammonia and Nitrite and about 10-20 Nitrates.

At least, that would be my advice if you're cycled/planning to cycle. I've never done it in such a small tank....I assume the process would be the same, if not similar, though for a definitive answer from someone more experienced there might want to most a thread in the bowls, habitats, and accessories section.

If you're not interested in bothering with cycling, then the filter is really unnecessary....not that you HAVE to take it out or anything; it just doesn't really serve any purpose unless you're cycling.....and therefore you can go ahead and treat the tank just like any other small uncycled tank with my above advice; experiment, test, and change accordingly ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote