Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #1 
MissScarfbeard

Question Advice on a Tank

Hey there all! I have a question about a tank, obviously. My mom is giving me a 1.5 gal tank as a hand me down because her own Betta, Fred, passed away earlier this year. I don't know which one it is, but I think it's either this one
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-1.5-...m-Kit/16816936
or this one
Since it held a beta before it comes with a heater and a thermometer as well.
So my question is if anyone has one of these, and if it's a good tank or if I need to upgrade. All I have in my itty bitty town is a Walmart, so it will be difficult to get an amazing quality tank. I know the tank is small and I plan on upgrading at a time when I have the money to buy better quality.
This will be my first Betta, and I've been researching on this website for about a week now and am sure I want to do this. So any tank advice is greatly appreciated!
MissScarfbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

That was one of my first tanks. I got it and wish I hadnt, at least for the price! It was an expensive tank but needlessly so. To be perfectly honest, its JUST an ok tank. Since you got is as a hand me down, the price isnt an issue but the quality is. The wires under the tank are more or less exposed so you need to be careful when rinsing it out, the port for the LED light is in a place that can easily get wet (and will* rust), the black lining at the top falls off and separates from the tank, it scratches easy and is generally just a meh tank!

For what its worth and the fact it was free- its fine. If you got the filter with it, even better. Those retail about $10 and arent too bad in (larger) tanks. IMO, the filter that comes with it is too big, doesnt do enough and might hurt the fish's fins because he cant get away.

Also, in a smaller tank like that, youll need to do more frequent water changes.

Walmart, surprisingly, has pretty decent tanks at good prices. Their tanks are fairly priced, even at larger sizes (actually, the bigger they are the better the price!) Here are some good tanks that are larger and you can probably use every last thing you got from your mom in!

A nice big 5g! I like this tank. Comes with a filter but its honestly too strong. If you use the filter from your mom's 1.5, its perrffecttt!http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653
Youll probably need a new heater (stronger)

This is a neat tank. I have an older version, but the new version is quite cool. Its got a cool bubbler (youtube it!)...the heater might work in this sized tank.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-Aq...-Pets/13448744

Also a good tank. Made of acryllic so its light. Comes with a filter thats too strong like the other one, but same solution!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258
Will probably need a stronger heater.

A cute tank, too, I know a few people with these. Not a bad price. Might not need a new heater for this sized tank:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-Aq...-Pump/14660254

All of these are seen in most walmarts and nearly all can have site to store! :)

The reason you would need a new heater in the bigger tanks is because the larger the volume of water, the less effective the heater is when its got a low wattage. Filters arent really important, either, but can be helpful in bigger tanks.

Welcome to the forum, best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissScarfbeard View Post
Hey there all! I have a question about a tank, obviously. My mom is giving me a 1.5 gal tank as a hand me down because her own Betta, Fred, passed away earlier this year. I don't know which one it is, but I think it's either this one
or this one
Since it held a beta before it comes with a heater and a thermometer as well.
So my question is if anyone has one of these, and if it's a good tank or if I need to upgrade. All I have in my itty bitty town is a Walmart, so it will be difficult to get an amazing quality tank. I know the tank is small and I plan on upgrading at a time when I have the money to buy better quality.
This will be my first Betta, and I've been researching on this website for about a week now and am sure I want to do this. So any tank advice is greatly appreciated!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:23 AM   #3 
kfryman

I think it will be okay for now, I have not had that tank though so I don't know much about it. Does it have a filter or no? There is no need for a filter but it will help you for water changes because with a filter you can probably do three 50% water changes. And I would have the tank running for a bit and make sure that the heater isn't heating to high or not working at all. I guess that is one downside to small towns opposed to cities. I live in a city, HATE it because I don't like the people around me. Oh btw you linked the same tank lol.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #4 
MissScarfbeard

Thanks for all the advice! I have a 50W preset heater, because that's the smallest my mom could find at the time. I ended up being able to arrange a trip to Petco in January to get a fish, and I'll look at tanks there, too. I did like the Hawkeye round bubbler one...... I got $100 for Christmas, so that's my max budget, but I should be able to set everything up for that much.
EDIT: Has anyone had one of these tanks?
http://www.petco.com/product/12351/A...um%20Kit-12351
I only getting one fish, so the divider wouldn't be used, but is the filter okay and all that?

Last edited by MissScarfbeard; 12-25-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: adding new information
Old 12-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #5 
CreativePotato

I have the five gallon version of that kit. *raises hand* The filter, in my opinion, is a bit strong but my betta got used to it and learned where not to swim.
CreativePotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Honestly, you're paying a lot for a little with that tank. Its just a meh tank and you're posting for the divider you went be using (and shouldn't, 5 gallons is the minimum)
Old 12-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #7 
MissScarfbeard

It's funny because the "betta" specific one is always cheaper than the exact same "generic" one. My roomate and I are planning a major scoping out of all the petshops in ABQ so we will be able to find the best prices and the healthiest fish. I want to try to keep the aquarium price below $40, but I feel like I need to sacrifice quality if I go cheaper. I wish they would sell just straight aquariums so I could get each thing separately. :( Still haven't picked which tank I want, but something between 2.5 and 3.5 gallons is what I'm thinking. I can always go bigger later.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Tbh, most tanks youll encounter arent that different in that size range. Acryllic is acrylic and glass is glass, the difference lies in the filters and hoods, really- but unless you plan to plant your tank the hood isnt a concern and the filter's gonna be too strong no matter what you do.

They do sell straight 2.5 gallon glass tanks in most stores.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:13 AM   #9 
MissScarfbeard

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna cave and get the Hawkeye 5 gal tank. :) Would anyone recommend the Hagen Elite 25W, Topfin 25W, or the Hydor theo 25W for heaters?
Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #10 
kfryman

FYI baffle your filter so your betta won't be thrashed around by the current. I have heard many great reviews for the elite and it is adjustable so get that one.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, care, tank, tetra