Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #1 
NewFishyOwner

My New Betta Lily Pics

You can all also tell me if this is a nice home for her. It was hard to take a good picture of the little girl Her name is Lily she seems a few weeks or a month old. I've had her since Thursday, Dec.22, 2011
As you can see I've done all I can possibly can to make sure she has a good home. She seems happy enough, now her new temp is a good 76.24. It used to be as the picture below says 74.23. So after the christmas rush I will get a heater. Anyways the months get colder later on. I will also try to find some bloodworms and things like that for ounce in a while. Will see where do you guys suggest I get these types of food? how should I keep them? I want the frozen ones though not the live ones.

Last edited by NewFishyOwner; 12-25-2011 at 10:31 AM.
NewFishyOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #2 
purplemuffin

What a cutie!!!!

How many gallons is that? I'm not good at eyeballing.

The rule of thumb is--the smaller the fish tank, the more often you will need to do water changes! As long as the fish can swim, has clean water, and is at the right temperature, the home is fine. A lot of people (like me) choose to get large 5 gallon tanks because they can be cycled fully and need fewer water changes. But of course, it's easy to do water changes on a small tank. Just don't forget!

I would get a good liquid tester for ammonia (like the API freshwater kit) so you can always check and make sure the water is at a safe level for the sweet little girl!

Keep a watchful eye on her if you keep her in a small area. :) A lot of people suggest a minimum of 2.5 gallons simply because the amount of water is larger and is thus safer to use a heater with (I'm not sure how safe the new bowl heaters are, I don't remember seeing those when I first got my fish)

Good luck with the cutie!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #3 
NewFishyOwner

It's a one gallon. I will be chaning the water twice a week. It says is ok for a one gallon. :/ It's still not ok. I did get water conditioner and I'm going today to a PetStore not Walmart where i got her to try and find a good water heater for her type of bowl. I also got that bowl at walmart. In fact it was the biggets one there as per bowl I mean. There where also tanks but I don't have the space for a big tank. Right now I have a heating pad underneath the mouse pad I have her bowl on. To try and keep the water at a nice tempature. I'm not sure if this will help but I'm trying my best. She can swim just fine in there. She does eat and she is active and even uses the plants as a hammoc.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #4 
gidgeystartedit

I like the decor. It's pretty, and so is that betta :)
gidgeystartedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #5 
NewFishyOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgeystartedit View Post
I like the decor. It's pretty, and so is that betta :)
Thank you that made me feel better as a new betta mommy.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #6 
Jrf456

It's a perfect home, one gallons are the minimum of bettas and work perfectly fine! Just change her water 2x a week and you should be good!

I suggest getting a hospital tank too if she ever gets sick.. Just buy a little glass fish bowl and leave it empty if you ever need to heal her.

All of my fish are in 1 - 1.5 gallon tanks, and my oldest betta lived 4 years doing this. Good luck with Lily, Merry Christmas, and have a very happy new year.

- Joel
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #7 
NewFishyOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
It's a perfect home, one gallons are the minimum of bettas and work perfectly fine! Just change her water 2x a week and you should be good!

I suggest getting a hospital tank too if she ever gets sick.. Just buy a little glass fish bowl and leave it empty if you ever need to heal her.

All of my fish are in 1 - 1.5 gallon tanks, and my oldest betta lived 4 years doing this. Good luck with Lily, Merry Christmas, and have a very happy new year.

- Joel
Wow thanks Joel, I will do that then, your girl Heather looks like my Lily. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you also!
Old 12-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #8 
Jrf456

No prob! Just remember, the betta bug is very hard to stop.. I've got 6 and that's a very small amount to many! :D
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #9 
NewFishyOwner

Thanks Joel but since you own One Gallons do you put a heater in your tanks? I mean I have read so much on that I'm scared of fluctuations ect. ect.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #10 
o0 BuBbLeS 0o

She's pretty! The tank is a little small though, in my opinion. Bettas always do better with more room; but you sure did decorate it nicely. She has a lot of little hiding places in there. I'm sure she's comfy! I'm pretty sure she's older than a few weeks. Most pet stores sell bettas at around 6 months I believe. She looks to be about full grown.
o0 BuBbLeS 0o is offline   Reply With Quote