Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #1 
watergale

Question under gravel filter

i got a tank with an under gravel filter today, is it just a piece of plastic or am i missing a piece or am i just not getting how it works.....
watergale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #2 
eaglescout434

No the under gravel filter is just a piece of plastic that should cover most of the bottom of the fish tank and should seperate the rocks and the bottom of the tank by about a half an inch. It is there to collect the waste of the aquarium. It really dosnt ''filter'' much as much as is just stores the waste that the fish produce.
eaglescout434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #3 
watergale

ah ok thanks, would you know anything about how often should i clean the tank? it's a 3 gal 1 betta
Old 12-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #4 
eaglescout434

With a 3 gal. tank you need to do 50% water changes about once a week. As to when you need to do a complete cleaning(taking everything out and washing it) really depends on what kind of fish that you have and if you have a filter. Ex: goldfish need their water to be changed more often than bettas do because they are messier. If you dont have a filter then i would suggest that about once every month to month and a half would do. if you do have a filter you could probably go a little over 3 months until you did a complete cleanout. But remember that water changes are extremely important to keeping the water clean and the fish healthy.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #5 
watergale

ok thanks
Old 12-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

In a 3gal with an under gravel filter (UGF) water changes of 50% twice weekly...with UGF it is important to vacuum well weekly to keep them free of mulm/debris for them to function properly.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #7 
watergale

thanks, by vacuum you mean one of the gravel pumps, if so might you recommend one for me?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #8 
Virux

I like these types of filters for betta tanks... HOWEVER, sometimes they can be very powerful and create a great deal of foaming and bubbling at the surface (which Bettas dislike) or, worse, cause a downcurrent that stresses the fish because he's constantly having to swim very hard to keep from getting pulled downwards towards the UGF. If this happens, (in small tanks it often does), get a gang valve and put it on the airline between the pump and the airstone that goes in the UGF tube, and adjust the bubbles/air so that they are much lower.
Virux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #9 
eaglescout434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virux View Post
I like these types of filters for betta tanks... HOWEVER, sometimes they can be very powerful and create a great deal of foaming and bubbling at the surface (which Bettas dislike) or, worse, cause a downcurrent that stresses the fish because he's constantly having to swim very hard to keep from getting pulled downwards towards the UGF. If this happens, (in small tanks it often does), get a gang valve and put it on the airline between the pump and the airstone that goes in the UGF tube, and adjust the bubbles/air so that they are much lower.
Im not sure of the down current that you are talking about can you please explain how the ugf causes this?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #10 
watergale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virux View Post
I'm sorry what kind of filter?