Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #1 
revolutionrocknroll

Advice for setting up a 10 gallon tank

I'm getting myself a ten gallon tank soon! I want to divide it three ways and have three bettas, some ghost shrimp, and a mystery snail or two. I need advice on a few things though.

1. If one of the bettas is a female, would putting her in the middle section make it less stressful for the fish than if I put two males next to each other?

2. I'm going to have live plants. My java fern in my 2.5 gallon tank is growing more java ferns on its tips, so I'm going to try to have a few of those. I'm also going to get a few other types of plants- maybe water wisteria and amazon sword. How do live plants affect the cycling of the tank? Would I be able to keep the fish in there while it cycled, or would I still have to wait to add them?

3. In what order should I introduce the snails, shrimp, fish? Or does it not really matter?

4. Lastly, any recommendations for aquarium kits, heaters, filters, etc?

Thank you so much in advance! I'm so excited! :D
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

For Christmas I got the TopFin kit from petsmart! All you need thats not in it is a gravel siphon and a PH testing kit.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #3 
revolutionrocknroll

I was actually looking at those. I was wondering how well the filter and heater it came with worked- I've heard mixed reviews, so I'm wondering if it would just be better to get them separately or not.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #4 
Neil D

I have a ten gallon too! Divided in 2.
Quote:
I'm getting myself a ten gallon tank soon! I want to divide it three ways and have three bettas, some ghost shrimp, and a mystery snail or two. I need advice on a few things though.

1. If one of the bettas is a female, would putting her in the middle section make it less stressful for the fish than if I put two males next to each other?

2. I'm going to have live plants. My java fern in my 2.5 gallon tank is growing more java ferns on its tips, so I'm going to try to have a few of those. I'm also going to get a few other types of plants- maybe water wisteria and amazon sword. How do live plants affect the cycling of the tank? Would I be able to keep the fish in there while it cycled, or would I still have to wait to add them?

3. In what order should I introduce the snails, shrimp, fish? Or does it not really matter?

4. Lastly, any recommendations for aquarium kits, heaters, filters, etc?

For number 1: I would think so, but it would be best to get dark dividers. I replaced the clear material in mine with black ones from Michael's.

2:No Idea, sorry.

3: Snails/Shrimp first, then fish.

4: You could get a 10g kit and buy a separate heater. 50W should be the right amount of watt-age for your tank.

Good Luck!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #5 
revolutionrocknroll

Thanks for your answers. I just got a Top Fin 10 gallon from my Grandma, and I'm going to start to set that up. I'll see how it works.
I'm still wondering about the live plants, but I'm going to test the water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and see when the tank will be ready.