Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #1 
Roxy

What the heck just happened!? :(

So... my betta looked like this... ( I have him for about a month + )

&...
I just got home today and found my betta looking like this...

What the heck just happened???
Will it ever heal and grow back...?
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

What plants do you have? ornaments? he could have shredded his tail that way... and if so, yes, it will. as long as you keep the water nice and clean
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

You might have a tail biter there... he looks guilty of something lol

A little Stress Coat Water conditioner and keeping your water clean will heal that right up :) I'd say a 50% change once a week and a 100% change once a week would do the trick.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:52 AM   #4 
Roxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
What plants do you have? ornaments? he could have shredded his tail that way... and if so, yes, it will. as long as you keep the water nice and clean
I have a few silk plants and a betta hammock.

There's also one 'aquarium wood' that I bought from petco a while ago.

Hmm... well... nothing in the tank is sharp enough to tear his fins since I used the pantyhose method on all of the ornaments...

I will try to keep the water as clean as possible. I always do 50% water changes twice a week and 100% water change in the weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
You might have a tail biter there... he looks guilty of something lol

A little Stress Coat Water conditioner and keeping your water clean will heal that right up :) I'd say a 50% change once a week and a 100% change once a week would do the trick.
Oh no... :( what will make him stop biting his own tail?

I'm looking at him for the past 20 minutes or so and he hasn't bitten his tail yet... so who knows...

Good thing I have some stress coat water conditioner atm. ( I normally use prime )

Last edited by Roxy; 12-26-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

That's 3 changes a week right? If so, I would cut back one of the 50% changes. Too many water changes would stress him out, which could lead to tail biting :) I have a bad biter myself, Ben never has a tail *rolls eyes*
Old 12-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #6 
Roxy

Quote:
That's 3 changes a week right? If so, I would cut back one of the 50% changes. Too many water changes would stress him out, which could lead to tail biting :) I have a bad biter myself, Ben never has a tail *rolls eyes*
Ohhh!

Hmm, so 1x 50% water change and 1x 100% water change would be fine, right?

I noticed something different about the tank... there's a big bubble nest on top right of the tank. He usually doesn't make a bubble nest that huge... only a small area at a time.

Last edited by Roxy; 12-26-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

Yup! I usually do a 50% change, wait 3 days and do a 100% and wait 4 days then do 50% and so on. I always do a 100% change after they're in the water the extra day. But... wait on other replies too :) This is just what I think, someone else may catch onto something I'm not.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #8 
Roxy

Quote:
Yup! I usually do a 50% change, wait 3 days and do a 100% and wait 4 days then do 50% and so on. I always do a 100% change after they're in the water the extra day. But... wait on other replies too :) This is just what I think, someone else may catch onto something I'm not.
Alrighty. Thank you for your help. :)

On another note... I'm also trying to spot some fins that fell off in the tank but I don't see any. o_o
Old 12-26-2011, 02:16 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Okay, then I agree it is tail biting... what can cause it, is stress. Stress can be from previously being moved, water changes (not enough, or too many)... what size is your tank?

And I will admit the picture just YELLS "guilt" look at that face! :o

What else can cause tailbiting.. is just having a heavy tail. Shiloh likes being zippy and fast like a Plakat, and since his unfair fight with cichlids or something, he's kept his fins short... Crayola was weighed down.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:19 AM   #10 
Roxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Okay, then I agree it is tail biting... what can cause it, is stress. Stress can be from previously being moved, water changes (not enough, or too many)... what size is your tank?

And I will admit the picture just YELLS "guilt" look at that face! :o

What else can cause tailbiting.. is just having a heavy tail. Shiloh likes being zippy and fast like a Plakat, and since his unfair fight with cichlids or something, he's kept his fins short... Crayola was weighed down.
My tank size is 2.5 gallon.

Hmm... well i'll see if it is indeed caused by tail biting... I will check on him often.