Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #1 
Fawnleaf

"Baby Bettas" ~Petco

Hello Everyone!

Today, I entered my local Petco to get my 3 Bettas their fish food. However, like always, I couldn't help take a peak at the bettas. And yes, as you may have guessed by now, I did end up bringing one home. :D As I was scanning the tiny cups for the bettas, I came to one that appeared empty. I picked it up and looked into the cup from the bottom. There she was.

A tiny Betta fry, smaller than any Betta I had ever seen. I wanted to throw up. She had horrible stress stripes, she was a pale pale blue and probably fin rot although her fins were so tiny it was hard to tell for sure. On the top of her cup, she was labeled "Baby Betta".

It turns out, Petco has started a new chain of "Baby Betta"s. And they were all dead. Except Lily, the one I decided to purchase for $1.99 . How sick.

I searched the forums and I couldn't find a thread about this, so I apologize if this has already been discussed. And also if this thread should be moved, please let me know how because I wasn't quite sure how I could.

~Fawnleaf
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #2 
o0 BuBbLeS 0o

Ugh, I know! It's terrible. I saw the baby bettas for the first time a few days ago. At least there weren't any dead ones with the ones I saw. I almost took one home but I wanted to do a little more research so I would know how to properly care for them. Good luck with her! I hope she survives.
o0 BuBbLeS 0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #3 
styggian

I have a baby, I got her about three weeks ago. She's getting big and eating well. Still no vibrancy, but that could take months.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #4 
newarkhiphop

yea my petco had a sale going on

1 baby betta
1 bottle of water conditoner
1 1gallon tank

$10

day i went they had no babies left, buf if the way they take care of there adult bettas is sign smh

post pics of your betta plz
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

oh my! That's not good. betta fry that small have yet to develop...well, not only their colors and finnage, but their immune systems.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #6 
Fawnleaf

What have you been feeding your baby? I have blood worms, and betta flakes (the pellets haven't been fitting in her mouth). I crushed the flakes and I think I saw her eating one but I can't be sure. Would you suggest I get some brine shrimp? My petco doesn't have live, so would dried be alright?
Old 12-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #7 
Fawnleaf

At the request of newarkhiphop, I tried taking pictures of Lily but they were all horrible, since my mother has our camera and the only other one I have is on my ipod. The camera on my Ipod is horrible for close ups, or pictures of small objects like Lily. Sorry.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #8 
watergale

if you can bbs or crushed pellets
watergale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

if you can find them, I've fed betta, platy, danio and molly fry nutrafin max baby fish formula... they are like grains of salt - so, small pellets for babies :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #10 
styggian

My baby was big enough to eat the tiniest of new life spectrum betta pellets. I make sure she eats when I feed everyone, and she's definitely getting bigger. There's fry food, but I haven't needed it. She can eat a bit of freeze dried bloodworms if I crumble some.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote