Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #1 
PaintingPintos

New betta fish illness?

I bought a betta fish today at a local Pet Supplies Plus store (Petco was closing permanantly and their betta fish all looked dead) and I bought a teal/turquoise male betta fish.. I've noticed a couple of pinhole-like pricks in his tail near his body. Any causes for this?
I've only had him for 2 hours and he's currently in a 1-gallon vase/tank with large glass marbles and a little flowerpot with a plugged hole so he can hide in it.
He hasn't used the pot yet as far as I can see. He's a bit shy and may not be healthy because the other fish (only about 6) in their cups were half-dead and either had horrible fin rot, ich, or gills that looked like the "gill fluff" had been ripped out and was dangling under the fish. They were not flaring. My fish seemed the healthiest. He's only about 2 inches long, and the edges of his "neck fins" (sorry I don't know the names of them ) are a bit white at the tips. Is there some kind of home-made temporary medicine I could make? I hadn't noticed this at the store...

Also on the top right of his head, there is a slightly paler, slightly bumpy "growth" that's only about 1/8 inch long going sideways and 1/16 inch long going back and forth.

I think I recognized "stress stripes" (I'm new to this, remember!) on his head, they were darker stripes going vertically up his face... am I right?
I don't know how to post pics without a link so could you help me out here? When I learn I'll post some :)

Thanks for helping, I am VERY much a newbie to bettas, I've only had experience with goldfish!
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

The pinholes are usually from bad water conditions.

Just try keeping his water a little extra clean with maybe 2-3 100% changes weekly for a little bit to see if that helps him out any.

If his fins start to look flakey and get a brow/black/red tinge to the tips, start him on 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt (Or kosher salt with no additives or colors or flavors). Replacement salt has to be kosher since the additives in most other salts will be very harmful or deadly. Aquarium salt is rather cheap and has many uses, so it's good to keep on hand anyway.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #3 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
The pinholes are usually from bad water conditions.

Just try keeping his water a little extra clean with maybe 2-3 100% changes weekly for a little bit to see if that helps him out any.

If his fins start to look flakey and get a brow/black/red tinge to the tips, start him on 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt (Or kosher salt with no additives or colors or flavors). Replacement salt has to be kosher since the additives in most other salts will be very harmful or deadly. Aquarium salt is rather cheap and has many uses, so it's good to keep on hand anyway.
Thank you so much! It's lucky that I have aquarium salt on hand... my aunt just lost her last tropical fish last week and gave me all of her supplies!
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote