Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #11 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Top Fin water conditioner.. it removes chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals. Also reduces the effects of ammonia. Protects fish with four slime coat enhancers.. I'd say it's perfect. (The betta version doesn't have all the slime coat protection, but still has some).
It says for best use to mix it in water prior to adding it to the aquarium, which I'm assuming if the fish are still in the aquarium. I would go ahead and do as it recommended, just in case it has an ingredient that isn't tolerated all that well when still in concentrated form- as it would be when it first enters the water.

For some reason Top Fin didn't get on my radar when I made the list.. my apologies. Top Fin has been around forever I believe.. but I didn't see anything wrong with the ingredients, nor what it takes care of.
Great! :D I've been using the betta one, just for dosing. :) I've been getting 1 gallon of tap water in my bucket, and putting the correct amount (15ml I think), mixing and adding. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #12 
blueridge

How about the Aqueon conditioners?
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #13 
Hopeseeker

Very helpful!! Thanks!!
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #14 
Myates

@ Blueridge-
The only thing I'm not too thrilled about with Aqueon is that I have yet to find out whether or not it binds dissolved metals in the water and makes them safe. The ingredients aren't showing it, and haven't found a listing on it. It's not necessary, as some conditioners don't have it... but personally I like to be completely covered in all areas. But overall, it's not a bad one to use, since the main problem areas are taken care of- chlorines, ammonia, etc.
If I had to give it a rating, I would say 3.5 stars out of 5 to give you an ideal. It's decent and does it's job, but could be better, and could get better for the money.

But otherwise it works, it's cheaper, but you tend to go through it quicker then say, Aqua Safe. And some people don't like the smell of it.. but that's personal tastes.

And thanks Hope :) I know I didn't list all of the brands out there, but wanted to show the better of the more common ones, and the top of the brands for what category they are placed in.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #15 
blueridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
@ Blueridge-
The only thing I'm not too thrilled about with Aqueon is that I have yet to find out whether or not it binds dissolved metals in the water and makes them safe. The ingredients aren't showing it, and haven't found a listing on it. It's not necessary, as some conditioners don't have it... but personally I like to be completely covered in all areas. But overall, it's not a bad one to use, since the main problem areas are taken care of- chlorines, ammonia, etc.
If I had to give it a rating, I would say 3.5 stars out of 5 to give you an ideal. It's decent and does it's job, but could be better, and could get better for the money.

But otherwise it works, it's cheaper, but you tend to go through it quicker then say, Aqua Safe. And some people don't like the smell of it.. but that's personal tastes.

And thanks Hope :) I know I didn't list all of the brands out there, but wanted to show the better of the more common ones, and the top of the brands for what category they are placed in.
Thanks for your opinion!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #16 
Nemo Betta

What about PH

My PH is constantly as high as the test will go, which I believe is close to 8. I tested my tap water last night, and bingo, it is at the top of the range right out of the tap. Is there a conditioner that will handle this or do I have to add PH down when I do water changes?
Nemo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #17 
Pitluvs

Nemo, you're pH is fine. Mine is 8ppm as well. Stable pH is better than adjusting pH. As long as your pH stays at 8ppm, you have nothing to really worry about. Adjusting it may cause problems.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #18 
Myates

Pitluvs is absolutely correct- safer to keep it at what it normally is then try to change it.. the fluctuation can become deadly, whereas a high pH for a betta, is not.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #19 
fishcurl

This is super awesome helpful, Myates! I always wondered why Seachem Prime was almost always listed as "the" conditioner.

So conditioner should be replaced once a year?

Also, is it safe to switch brands if you've been using one for a long time? I.e., going from API Stress Coat to Seachem?
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #20 
IndeedPanda

Just got some Tetra Aquasafe. Thanks for the advice!
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote