Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #21 
CoyoteBetta22

well if you had to choose one to use for life and got for free for life which one would be the best one of all time to use in your own opioin er however u spell it
CoyoteBetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #22 
Myates

Seachem Prime or Tetra AquaSafe- as they remove all of the things I don't want in my tanks. Not just for bettas, but they are good for other fish who have higher requirements. It costs a bit more for Prime, but worth it, and it's highly concentrated so it goes a long ways.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #23 
iceyrose

Confused about water conditoners when it comes to ph issues. I tested my faucet water after checkin my tank water about a week ago bolth were in the 8.0+ range as I used the api test kit only to check ph. My little dude had clouded eyes...which I read was an effect of the ph.I check to keep it in balance around the 7.0 range...and I use spring water slightly mixed with fauseth water to get ph to 7.0 range.
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #24 
iceyrose

I adopted my veiltail betta about a month ago. Had a 2.5 gallon now I havea 5 gallon. Another qwestion how well do 5gallon tanks cycel with small filter system & heater? Also if u don't mind me asking what kinda kit that's under 20.00$ untill I can pick up a masters kit would u guys reccoment to check his tank cycling. Also with a two week change of filter is it best to do two smaller 25% water change dering the week or one 50%?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #25 
Myates

For cycling questions, this may be able to help.. if not, then I would post in the habitat section of the forums for cycling and pH questions..

But it sounds as if you have a hard water issue. Only thing that concerns me is you creating possible deadly fluctuations in the pH when you mix the spring with tap water- if not measured very accurately you can cause too much of a drop/raise when you add it to your tank.

What do you mean a 2 week change of the filter? Only the carbon part of the filter should be changed once a month.. sponge you will want to keep in there until it starts to fall apart- and when that happens, place in a new aq sponge next to the old one for a week or two to establish a new bacteria colony on the new sponge and then toss out the old.

After the tank is cycled, it will depend on how many live plants (if any) you have for water changes.. if no live plants, the tank is cycled, you would be looking at 40-50% per week with substrate vacuuming each time.
If planted, it will depend on how many plants, and of what type you have that will determine how much of a water change you will be doing.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #26 
johnny151

I use aqueon water conditioner. I'm surprised to not see it on the list. I have a 1 gallon. it says to put 1 teaspoon per 10 gallon, so i have to use a teaspoon set which is basically a 1/4 teaspoon and fill that half to make 1/8 to do the job for 1 gallon and not over kill with conditioner. Though i think i put a little extra, is there A better, more accurate conditioner that I can use?

is Tetra Aquasafe>Aqueon?

Last edited by johnny151; 03-08-2012 at 06:13 PM.
johnny151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #27 
iceyrose

The filter system is for a 1-3 gallon tank its called the whisperI3 from tetra* its to be changed out every 2 weeks. I have a filter system for the5 gallon tank just didn't know if it would be over whelming ...and I still have a few filters for the 1_3 gallon it does an amazing job with floating debris....yea I try to be carefull with his water...the faucet water really sucks though. Maby getting a water softener will help......in the future.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #28 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny151 View Post
I use aqueon water conditioner. I'm surprised to not see it on the list. I have a 1 gallon. it says to put 1 teaspoon per 10 gallon, so i have to use a teaspoon set which is basically a 1/4 teaspoon and fill that half to make 1/8 to do the job for 1 gallon and not over kill with conditioner. Though i think i put a little extra, is there A better, more accurate conditioner that I can use?

is Tetra Aquasafe>Aqueon?
I should of looked at more.. woops.. maybe have to revise my list, my apologies!

I haven't used Aqueon for many many years.. but it does do a good job.

I should redo this list.. as Prime is not in the right category- Prime doesn't detoxify heavy metals, and Aqueon does (as does others).
ButPrime detoxifies Nitrates/ites, whereas Aqueon doesn't. Not that it's anything major, nor worth changing for.

Aqueon definitely is a good one to use. Sigh... back to the drawing board!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #29 
djembekah

how much of the aquasafe should i use for a one gallon tank? i have been using these bettasafe pre measured tablets, but they end up more expensive than a bottle of the aquasafe. is 1/8 teaspoon like someone mentioned a good amount?
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #30 
johnny151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I should of looked at more.. woops.. maybe have to revise my list, my apologies!

I haven't used Aqueon for many many years.. but it does do a good job.

I should redo this list.. as Prime is not in the right category- Prime doesn't detoxify heavy metals, and Aqueon does (as does others).
ButPrime detoxifies Nitrates/ites, whereas Aqueon doesn't. Not that it's anything major, nor worth changing for.

Aqueon definitely is a good one to use. Sigh... back to the drawing board!
Sorry, I didn't mean to out you for not listing that lol. I'm just new to the fish community, and a lot of you guys on here are very knowledgeable. So when I didn't see Aqueon on your list I thought something was wrong with it lol. Thanks for your info

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
how much of the aquasafe should i use for a one gallon tank? i have been using these bettasafe pre measured tablets, but they end up more expensive than a bottle of the aquasafe. is 1/8 teaspoon like someone mentioned a good amount?
I can't say 1/8 teaspoon is good for your 1 gallon. I believe each bottle dosage is different. Mine is 5ml = 1 teaspoon per 10 gallon. I also had a sample of Aqueon that was 10ml but directed 5ml per gallon (Very different dosages but same brand) . So from the dosage givin on the bottle of Aqueon, I simply had to mathematically break it down by dosage. since 5ml=1 teaspoon/10 gallons. i dont think they make a 1/8 teaspoon. I got lucky and found a unused teaspoon set which has a 1/4 spoon. Half of 1/4 is 1/8. So i filled it half. so for my required dosage 1/8 teaspoon=1 gallon.

If you tell me the dosage on the bottle I will be more than happy to breakdown the dosage requirement for your 1 gallon I just want to make sure what you have before I recommend doing 1/8 teaspoon. The dosage could be potentially higher than 1/8, plus i like math lol

Last edited by johnny151; 03-09-2012 at 08:40 AM.
johnny151 is offline   Reply With Quote