Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #1 
codyjoe20

Heater for Small Glass Bowl Needed

I just picked up my Betta this morning (will post a picture later) and im pretty excited because I've wanted to pick one up for a few years now. Just didn't have the room honestly for even a bowl.

I purchased a red Crowntail Male Betta along with a glass bowl (about 1 gal.), some rocks and of course BloodWorms. The problem though is I don't have the money to buy a better tank or a heating source for the water so I need to figure out something. With it being winter the water feels really cold at room-temp. What can I do to make the little guy happy? I know they like plants so im hoping I can find some cheap small plants at walmart that fit in the bowl.
codyjoe20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #2 
SwimmR

bowl heater

Well, of course the best is a heater specifically designed for betta bowls. They sell them at petsmart/petco for around $12. The can go inside or underneath the bowl. In a pinch, you can use a heating pad underneath the bowl, set on low. Make sure it doesn't have the "automatic off" feature after 2 hrs. Also worth picking up a thermometer (they're only a couple of bucks) so you can really tell what temperature the water is. They like it around 78-80, but can tolerate down to around 75. Sometimes if they're sick you'll want to bump it up to 84.
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #3 
wnppmy

Above is best advice, if you have a small desk lamp can also use for light and heater, I'm experimenting with a Marimo Ball help in the filtering, these are live plants, so far working great. My tank is undersized as yours and no clouding first week, Betta is merrily making Bubble Nests.
wnppmy is offline   Reply With Quote