Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #1 
yayagirl1209

New to aquarium plants...need an opinion.

New to aquarium plants and on my brother's advice (a long time aquarist) bought a cryptocoryne (unsure of species) and anubias nana. Knew not to bury the rhizome of anubias so I anchored it to a rock with fishing line. Pretty happy with the way that looks. But the crypto is potted. Just curious....is it best to remove the plant from the pot and bury it in the gravel substrate? And if so, what's the easiest way to free the plant from the stuff in the little pot? Any recommendations on fertilization? Tried reading through the plant sticky and got a bit overwhelmed by all the info.
yayagirl1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:04 AM   #2 
kfryman

Definitely take it out of the pot since crypts shoot out runners. I usually end up cutting the pots in half (horizontally) then there will be a wooly kind of stuff. Just take it off it shouldn't be to hard. Breaking some roots is okay, just try and avoid it.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:21 AM   #3 
yayagirl1209

Thanks for the advice!

Any ideas on fertilizer? Liquid or root tabs? My instinct tells me root tabs but my instinct has steered me wrong. I was one of those fools that bought an "aquatic fern" that wasn't so aquatic! :/ Luckily I figured it out before I opened the stupid tube!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:14 AM   #4 
yayagirl1209

Got one more question. I have a 3 gallon tank with a 6 watt bulb with a K rating of 6200. Should I stick to low light plants or can I venture into buying moderate light plants? I wanted to buy some swords through aquariumplants.com but don't want to invest the money if the lighting isn't appropriate. Opinions?