Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #1 
sandybottom
Reference Team

under lock and key!

last night i went to my lfs and walked into their fish room. what i saw deeply saddened me. the coldwater section was all cloudy and there were dying fish everywhere. all the orandas were covered with white scum. the butterfly koi was in his death throws. tiny pearlscale gasping for air. i asked my fish guy what had happened. he walked in this morning to find a whole package of spree candy was emptied into one of the tanks the previous night. whoever closed didn't do their walk through and it was very obvious. he also said. he found 3 bettas in one cup and two in another. no doubt in my mind that it is teenagers. he is thinking about putting locks on the tanks. and getting a locking display for the bettas. really broke my heart watching 12" long koi dying. and watching my own oranda atari's brothers and sisters losing the battle. and my poor lfs guy getting ready to euthanize about 100 fish.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #2 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
last night i went to my lfs and walked into their fish room. what i saw deeply saddened me. the coldwater section was all cloudy and there were dying fish everywhere. all the orandas were covered with white scum. the butterfly koi was in his death throws. tiny pearlscale gasping for air. i asked my fish guy what had happened. he walked in this morning to find a whole package of spree candy was emptied into one of the tanks the previous night. whoever closed didn't do their walk through and it was very obvious. he also said. he found 3 bettas in one cup and two in another. no doubt in my mind that it is teenagers. he is thinking about putting locks on the tanks. and getting a locking display for the bettas. really broke my heart watching 12" long koi dying. and watching my own oranda atari's brothers and sisters losing the battle. and my poor lfs guy getting ready to euthanize about 100 fish.
*shudder*

I'm a little confused as to why they didn't have stuff locked up before. And I hoped some Closer is getting fired (and sued!). Nobody deserves to keep their job (or dignity) if they can't even pay the minimal amount of attention to the major functions they're supposed to be fulfilling
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

They did not lock up the tanks, because they felt they could trust people to be mature. Looks like you can't trust people anymore.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #4 
sandybottom
Reference Team

my town is 42,000 pop. so we still have the trusting "minnesota nice" mentality. unfortunately this is changing. the lfs guy was understandably upset. he said that he wasn't able to get a hold of the employee yet.pretty sure there will be a job opening soon. i think that not doing your rounds is unacceptable. the tanks all are pretty sparsely decorated, and there are only around 100 tanks in a well lit display room, so why was it so hard to look into each tank for a few seconds? you could see the looks of horror as people came in. this store really takes great care of their fish ,so this was a spot on their reputation and the manager is not amused. thank god it was only the cold section of around a dozen tanks, instead of all of them. i absolutely love goldfish/koi and this really stung.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Do they have security cameras up?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #6 
Silverfang

Those poor fish! It's a shame that those poor things shouldn't have to suffer.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #7 
sandybottom
Reference Team

they have some cameras up. but not many in the fish room. there were a lot of people shopping for the holidays, so it was hard for them to figure it out. this store is rather large and houses a groomer and a vet. i really don't want to go back for awhile, but i have to pick up my snail they ordered for me. i know they feel bad about it, they take great care of their stock.and i still have my eye on a mated pair of anableps that they have.