Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #1 
PaintingPintos

Talking What kinds of goldfish do you have?

I can't be sure if this is JUST for tropical fish, but I'm sure some of you have some!
I have 2 baby goldfish in a 10 gallon tank, and I'm moving them up to a 30 gallon tank in a couple of months!
I have a MEGAFAT albino Pearlscale goldfish (Thank God I can see into her throat because she got a pea stuck in there once and I had to fish-Heimlich it out xD), named Pearl, and a gorgeous matte-black-turning-gold-belly-colored Black Moor goldfish with a LOT of personality! He's growing at superfast rates... when I bought him it was a pity purchase because it was the same group of Moors and Fantails I had chosed Pearl from 2 months ago and his belly was only 1/4 inch wide and his fins were all nipped! His name is Houston (Houston, we have a problem...)
Tell us about your goldfishies!
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #2 
Fishguy2727

Upgrade now, they need it. Keeping them in a 10 gallon for a week or two while you setup a larger tank is one thing, but not for a couple months. These guys grow very fast and need more space than that already.

What is your water changes schedule?
What is the nitrate concentration?
What are you feeding?

I have a black moor, ranchu, calico telescope, oranda, and two ryukins right now. I have had many other goldfish over the years.
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #3 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
Upgrade now, they need it. Keeping them in a 10 gallon for a week or two while you setup a larger tank is one thing, but not for a couple months. These guys grow very fast and need more space than that already.

What is your water changes schedule?
What is the nitrate concentration?
What are you feeding?

I have a black moor, ranchu, calico telescope, oranda, and two ryukins right now. I have had many other goldfish over the years.

They seem fine. They're both only 2 inches long and I've done this same thing before and my fish lived 8 years (6 months in a 10 gallon, the rest in a 40 gallon) until I gave them to my aunt who wanted them in her pond. I change 50% of the water every week... the nitrates? God, I have no idea. I have a lot of Anacharis in there, and also some mystery plant that is growing rapidly and I have to keep trimming it. My fish are fine though, I check the ammonia every other day, and I keep it under 1 by using ammonia-clearer when needed. I honestly know a lot about goldfish and they're doing f-i-n-e. I know what I'm doing ;)
Old 12-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #4 
Fishguy2727

They will look fine for years in low quality water. They should be A LOT larger than that by now, indicating that the water quality is stunting them (amplified by the tank size). These are fish that can live for 20-40 years or more, so even five to ten years doesn't really prove anything. Not even one goldfish should be in a ten gallon, let alone two. I have had some of mine for only 2-3 months now and all are at least tennis ball size for body alone, not even counting fins. So yes, yours are stunted and their tank and care need to be improved. Obviously it is not so bad that it is causing immediate harm (they aren't sick) but it is the long term that we need to focus on.

The nitrate concentration will tell you if you are doing enough water changes (which is likely not the case) but with live plants that will be skewed because they will remove the nitrate but not all the other things that build up over time (growth inhibiting hormones, dissolved organic compounds, etc.).

There is obviously way too much waste in that tank if the tank still can't cycle and balance out. If it did you would not ever detect any ammonia. The fact that this is not the case shows that there is something definitely off with the tank and there will be problems sooner or later.

Please understand that I am saying this for the best interest of the fish. It is not against you for any reason, it is only said in the best interest of the fish.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #5 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
They will look fine for years in low quality water. They should be A LOT larger than that by now, indicating that the water quality is stunting them (amplified by the tank size). These are fish that can live for 20-40 years or more, so even five to ten years doesn't really prove anything. Not even one goldfish should be in a ten gallon, let alone two. I have had some of mine for only 2-3 months now and all are at least tennis ball size for body alone, not even counting fins. So yes, yours are stunted and their tank and care need to be improved. Obviously it is not so bad that it is causing immediate harm (they aren't sick) but it is the long term that we need to focus on.

The nitrate concentration will tell you if you are doing enough water changes (which is likely not the case) but with live plants that will be skewed because they will remove the nitrate but not all the other things that build up over time (growth inhibiting hormones, dissolved organic compounds, etc.).

There is obviously way too much waste in that tank if the tank still can't cycle and balance out. If it did you would not ever detect any ammonia. The fact that this is not the case shows that there is something definitely off with the tank and there will be problems sooner or later.

Please understand that I am saying this for the best interest of the fish. It is not against you for any reason, it is only said in the best interest of the fish.
I see. O.O I'll heed your warnings and not be stubborn and get a bigger tank, etc
Old 12-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #6 
PaintingPintos

Quote:

I see what you mean now. I was a lil stubborn if you noticed O.O
Old 12-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Glad to see there are other goldy keepers here. I have a ryukin and a veiltail in a 55 gal. They're about 5 years old. I had some swim bladder problems with both for a while until I switch away from commercial food. I make them gel food now, and they get all kinds of fresh goodies. Oranges and zucchini are their favorites. Spinach and green peas are kinda meh, but they will eat them after a few nibbles.

I would love to add one more to the mix, but I haven't found the right fish. I'm thinking maybe panda moor or redcap oranda. But I'm still not sold on the whole wan/popeye thing.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #8 
Fishguy2727

Sometimes stubborn is good. I have learned some of the most important things in this hobby by disagreeing, which requires others to share more information.

Have you tried New Life Spectrum? It is sinking and since feeding that exclusively I have not had any issues with buoyancy problems. I don't even have to supplement with peas or anything.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

I haven't tried NLS, but I want to switch all of my fish (betta, goldies, and loaches) over to their feed eventually. I just live in a one-horse town with only a Petsmart. Hopefully I'll be making a trip to a place that has a) better fish selection and b) better food selection in the near future.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #10 
Fishguy2727

I would just get it online. It is good to support local places, but if they aren't there it is harder. You can get it from many sources online with great shipping rates.

Tags
goldfish