I use this stuff to feed my goldfish

GoldfishConnection.com - Pro-Gold

Whats everyone's thoughts on this?
Ridewithme38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #12 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
I would just get it online. It is good to support local places, but if they aren't there it is harder. You can get it from many sources online with great shipping rates.
That is going to be my next step if I can't find it at my favorite LFS. It's about 50 minutes away; I'll be going there after I tally up my expensive and gifts from Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridewithme38 View Post
I use this stuff to feed my goldfish

GoldfishConnection.com - Pro-Gold

Whats everyone's thoughts on this?
That's another commercial food I've heard good things about. If you're not seeing any swim bladder issues or long white stringy poop, then you've got a pretty good staple diet for your fish. Something I learned in dealing with my guys bloatyness is that all goldfish are different. What works for one might not work for another. It's a matter of finding what works for your fish.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:48 AM   #13 
GreenTea

I just have one common goldfish who's 10 years old in a 20 gallon with two platys.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:21 AM   #14 
Sakura8

o.O I'm not getting any more goldfish or carp-like fish. Too much controversy over how big they get, how fast they get that size etc. I've read things by experts whom I greatly respect saying 20g is fine as a minimum (with bigger is better always being recommended) for egg-bodied goldfish and other people with just as much legitimacy saying no, it's not. Since I don't know who to believe, I'll just uh, walk away from all the pretty goldfish that are oh so tempting. *grabs a ryukin and runs for it*
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 AM   #15 
GreenTea

Yeah, water quality is always what's important. For my goldfish, my sister got him as a feeder when she was 6, so I guess he's actually 12, and he just ended up living past a few days like we thought he would so we kept him!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #16 
Fishguy2727

They all get big. Think of all the round-bodied goldfish as long-bodied goldfish who were smashed to be shorter, they can still weigh about the same.

Most people do consider the 20+10 guide to be the most accurate. 20 gallons for one and an additional 10 gallons for every additional goldfish. They are schoolers though so this really puts them in a 75 as the ideal minimum, housing a school of 6 (which is what my tank is, plus the zebra danios and platies). I wouldn't want to keep one alone. Since they are social/schoolers at the bare minimum they should have one friend. So I would consider the minimum to be 30 for two.

I think the difference comes from once you see them in larger tanks it is hard to imagine cramming them into a smaller tank. When you see fancy goldfish cruising around a 150 it is hard to imagine cramming them into a 75. When you see them cruising around a 220 it is hard to imagine cramming them into a 220. Bigger is always better, but for fancy goldfish the 20+10 guide seems to be the most accurate if you do adequate water changes.
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #17 
Sakura8

Oh how I wish I had room for that big of a tank. Hey, how many bottles of Prime do you think it would take to dechlorinate a small swimming pool? Just kidding of course, but since no one swims anymore, it's a pity the pool can't be turned into a giant goldfish pond.

Fishguy, what temp do you keep your goldfish? I know danios can withstand pretty cold temps but actually, I didn't think any other fish were really suited to be tankmates for goldfish. I was thinking of trying white cloud minnows with my baby koi but was told he'd eat them.

And thanks for all the info and the verification on tank size. :)
Old 12-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #18 
Fishguy2727

First of all goldfish are not coldwater fish, they are eurythermal meaning they can thrive in a very wide temp range. They are native to the tropics as well as subtropical areas. They are naturalized in almost every body of water all of our other tropical fish come from.

Second most of the time the temp difference between room temp (goldfish) and tropical is 4-6 degrees F, not a big difference for many fish.

Third, there are many fish that are considered tropical that are actually from cooler waters. All of the following are fine at room temp: platy, guppy, molly, swordtail, zebra danio and all variants (leopard, blue, gold, glofish, longfin varieties of all of these), white clouds (normal, gold, and longfins), bristlenose pleco, Siamese algae eater, and many more.

For accurate information on actual wild temp for a species you should check fishbase.org. It is used and maintained by scientists so it is a lot more accurate than the hobbyist sites that just regurgitate what the last hobbyist site said.
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #19 
Sakura8

So a 37g would be okay for 2 fancies? Looking to fill it after my koi is rehomed. Not sure if I'm going with goldies or cichlids.

EDIT: Ah, you posted just before me.

Thank you for all the clarification and info. You're an awesome help. :)
Old 12-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #20 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Oh how I wish I had room for that big of a tank. Hey, how many bottles of Prime do you think it would take to dechlorinate a small swimming pool? Just kidding of course, but since no one swims anymore, it's a pity the pool can't be turned into a giant goldfish pond.
I've seen it done before! This guy did it and has some nice pictures to go along with it. Erik’s Swimming Pool to Pond Conversion | kilk.com It looks like a huge project, but the results are amazing. Now if you can just convince the rest of the family...
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goldfish