Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #1 
PaintingPintos

Anyone else have/like horses?

Just speaking out to fellow horse-lovers/obsessors! I've been obsessed since I was literally 2 years old, and I've always drawn them, gotten stuffed animals, paintings, posters, Breyer horses, etc, etc... This ummer I got a free horse! She lives in a rescue stable with 27 other horses and she was mistreated and neglected, and used to HATE me.. She loves me now! I board her for free there and have all the training tools I need.. I;m LUCKY. I train her with Parelli methods :) Tell me about your obsessions/horses!
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #2 
Super Fish

Horses are my passion, and at the moment, my job. I own a 4 year old thoroughbred mare (retired race horse) who I am retraining as a jumper. She's the light of my life. As well, I have a number of horses who I train, sales horses and horses who I simply care for. I'm a standardbred racehorse groom too. I practically live at the barn!

I personally am not a fan of parelli... I find his methods to be counter productive, but whatever works for you.

The above is my mare Lilly, a few days after retiring from racing.
Super Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #3 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Fish View Post
Horses are my passion, and at the moment, my job. I own a 4 year old thoroughbred mare (retired race horse) who I am retraining as a jumper. She's the light of my life. As well, I have a number of horses who I train, sales horses and horses who I simply care for. I'm a standardbred racehorse groom too. I practically live at the barn!

I personally am not a fan of parelli... I find his methods to be counter productive, but whatever works for you.

The above is my mare Lilly, a few days after retiring from racing.
Lilly is GORGEOUS! I want to steal her. O.O
You're so lucky you have more than one horse!! My mare is -ahem- sassy... haha I'm just glad that she doesn't go crazy when she's in heat. There's one mare at the barn who goes INSANE... haha.
I love being at the barn all day. It's like I'm at home :D
And I see why you're not a fan of Parelli! It can be counterproductive sometimes, especially when you're confused. For the 6 months I've had my mare, I've ridden her twice, in a gap of 3 weeks. You have to spend a TON of time grooming, being friendly, playing games, etc, etc.... it gets really frustrating if you don't feel like catching the horse's attention with silly moves. You really have to let go of your serious side and be really energetic and playful.. to each her own :D
Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #4 
BeautifulBetta

Awwww so pretty! I love horses so much, but I've never had one. I used to take riding lessons and go trail riding whenever I could. Being on a horse is just so...perfect. :)
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #5 
Sprinkles

I have been involved with horses for 10 years now. Hard to believe it's been that long sometimes! I currently own a 16 year old black American Quarter Horse mare, a 7 year old sorrel American Quarter Horse gelding, and a miniature spotted donkey. XD
Sprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:50 AM   #6 
ArcticRain

When I was little I wanted to be a Horse Trainer/Vet. I had a huge collection of Breyer Horses, about Fifty books and I saddle that still sits in my room. I took lessons in Western, Dressage and Jumping for five years. I had a pony when I was little... Meanest pony ever. He was so bad, he would drag people around the pasture by his lead rope. Never going to have a pony ever again. We found him a nice home with someone who was willing to work with him. Me being 9 at the time, could not. I have since stopped riding after having two horses buck, rear and take off with me on them. I handled it well and knew what to do in that particular situation but, I have never ridden a horse since that day. It's quite sad when you think about it, me being so close to competing in shows and actually having a chance at winning. My instructor said I could have a real career with horses. I know when you fall of a horse you have to jump back on but, almost being thrown off a horse and being trampled has scared me for life....

Last edited by ArcticRain; 12-30-2011 at 12:55 AM.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #7 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRain View Post
When I was little I wanted to be a Horse Trainer/Vet. I had a huge collection of Breyer Horses, about Fifty books and I saddle that still sits in my room. I took lessons in Western, Dressage and Jumping for five years. I had a pony when I was little... Meanest pony ever. He was so bad, he would drag people around the pasture by his lead rope. Never going to have a pony ever again. We found him a nice home with someone who was willing to work with him. Me being 9 at the time, could not. I have since stopped riding after having two horses buck, rear and take off with me on them. I handled it well and knew what to do in that particular situation but, I have never ridden a horse since that day. It's quite sad when you think about it, me being so close to competing in shows and actually having a chance at winning. My instructor said I could have a real career with horses. I know when you fall of a horse you have to jump back on but, almost being thrown off a horse and being trampled has scared me for life....
I see what you mean. Though, when being almost trampled, I love being an inch from death. Some kind of crazy thrill speeding along on a horse through a jump course knowing that you could both die if you make a bad move. I've only fallen off 3 times in 3 years, and they were all scary falls. The first was being flung off 10 feet when a horse spooked at a bird, and I went flying up and to the side, and landed on my neck/shoulders on my back. The next was going over a jump, when my horse spooked and leaped llike the jump was 6 feet and not 2. He went plunging away and I was hanging onto his mane on his side while he galloped along. I flung myself off right as he was about to smush me into the gate. I landed hard on my right shoulder and on my head. (Helmets, people!!!!)
The most recent was when I was practicing jump position without hands at a fast canter outside, and as we rounded a turn a tractor came into view, and my horse went left and my body went right. I landed on my back and head. I've never gotten hurt other than getting whiplash and a bit of soreness but no matter how much I get hurt by horses I'll never be afraid to ride again because there's no such thing as a "mean" horse, only mistreated, or misunderstood!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #8 
ArcticRain

I have a feeling that this pony was mistreated before we got him. The owners before us said that he was a pony for their daughter, but that their daughter had been away for the past three years. When we first got him he was great! It was only after we brought him to the stable did he act up. The owner of the place we boarded him at even said that she refused to board him he was so bad.

Last edited by ArcticRain; 12-30-2011 at 04:42 PM.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #9 
LionCalie

I've been riding and working with horses for most of my life, 12+ years. Currently I volunteer with a program that uses horses to help special needs children and adults. It's called Horses For Healing. I help groom/tack the horses, sidewalk, and exercise them.

I retrained my first horse who was horribly abused using Parelli methods. It improved out relationship greatly.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #10 
firegurl979

Their my passion!! :D

Currently have a Morgan (Jazz), a Polish Arab (Beau), a Morab (Eli), and a Shetland/Hackney/Arab pony (Calypso).

I do endurance and eventing (dressage/jumping) :)
firegurl979 is offline   Reply With Quote