Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #1 
Lucille

Tank or little plastic cup?

I'm guilty of poor planning on account of I went over to Aquabid and saw a good deal on bettas . They should be arriving in a few days, but the stuff I ordered for them will be arriving at the same time so no, I haven't cycled.
I will have plants, and have a cycled tank with goldfish I can use to seed.
Should they go into their new tanks and I closely monitor the water or should they stay in little cups with large daily water changes?
Lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #2 
Lucille

Since no one had an opinion, I'm going with the tanks, all except the one damaged in transit (the replacement is on the way).
Buying that group of bettas was definitely 'if you give a mouse a cookie' type of experience, as each step brings more to do. I will probably spend the entire day tomorrow fixing up their homes.
I haven't had tropical fish in years, I'm very much looking forward to having them.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Tbh, you dont need to pre-cycle a tank with bettas. You dont even have to cycle it at all, or can try fish-in safely so long as you're willing to do the work. Put them in their tanks and it will be fine.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

PewPewPew is correct......you can safely establish the nitrogen cycle with the Bettas provided that you are will and able to make the needed water changes and then with your plans for the live plants will make it even safer-this depends on number and species of plants as well as growth state...

What size tanks, type of filter, substrate and number/species of live plants and we can help you with a water change schedule.....

Look forward to pic too.....we love pics around here.....lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #5 
yummyink

I have a small fish bowl that usually are used for goldfish with pebbles at the bottom. Is this okay for my betta or does he need a filter, plants, and all that other stuff. I want him to be healthy and comfortable. Please help me out guys.
yummyink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #6 
tpocicat

Yummyink: A small bowl will have to be cleaned often, depending on the bowl maybe as often as every day. Also you will need a heater for it, bettas are tropical fish. If you can afford it, a larger tank would be nice.

Lucille: Sounds like you went in over your head! Luckily bettas don't really need cycled tanks, as long as they have clean, warm, water, they usually do quite well. Real plants are an added bonus too. How big will your tanks be? The larger they are, the less water changes will be needed. Best of luck, post pics as soon as you are able!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #7 
Lucille

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post

Lucille: Sounds like you went in over your head! !
That is a perfect assessment of the situation!!! But setting up for them is going to be fun and I intend that my bettas are going to be happy and healthy.

I bought ten Hawkeye 5 gal aquarium kits that come with light and filter. 9 arrived and are set up, the one damaged in transit will arrive today. The heaters and thermometers should arrive today as well, the snails and plants soon, and the bettas any day, maybe today. They are plakat bettas I saw on Aquabid.

Last edited by Lucille; 12-29-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #8 
Lucille

Heaters arrived, thermometers arrived, last tank arrived, and then the bettas arrived :)
Have plants yet to come. The tanks in front of the windows (with sheers) have 4 watt bulbs but even though the sheers are pretty full they will get extra light. The others I switched out to 13 watt bulbs but the light is yellow rather than clear, hope those bulbs will be useful for plants. I don't have the bulb box any more either.
The bettas are doing fine and I'm happy all the important stuff got here before they did.