Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #1 
MissAmyzing

Starting a community tank tomorrow: am I missing anything?

My little guy Bloo is a very mellow, social, happy fish currently living in a 2 gallon tank. For quite some time now, I've been wanting to move him to at least a 10 gallon with some buddies for him! So I wanted to share my plan and see if there were any flaws I was missing.

I've also been doing some reading on plants and was considering getting a wisteria (doing a QT before I put it in, of course)!

So I love cory cats as they're adorable, and I was thinking about getting 5 or so of those, along with maybe a golden mystery snail. Is that bioload going to be okay for a 10 gallon?

I have plenty of gravel and decorations, and I'm going to go ahead and get one of the all-in-one packages from PetSmart (they're holding a sale, 20% off on their starter kits!) and go from there.

Could I maybe get some feedback from you lovely folks? Thanks in advance!
MissAmyzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #2 
styggian

That may be okay, you'll just need to closely monitor ammonia. I've read that cories can be sensitive to ammonia levels. Your local pet shop can do tests for free.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #3 
thekoimaiden

While local pet stores will test for free, I think it is a much better idea to have a test kit on hand. That way if something goes wrong you can immediately test the parameters and either a) correct the problem without a trip to the pet store or b) rule out water quality issues and move on to the real issue. I believe testing kits are a necessity for fishkeeping.

More good plants to add to the mix would be anubias, java fern, and hornwort. They are very undemanding and don't need a lot of light. If you want to add a floating plant, duckweed or water sprite is a great choice. They don't need much light; don't need any ferts; and the fish love them.

If you are going with mystery snails because you like them, then ignore this part. But if you want a snail to eat algae, I would consider getting something else. Mystery snails don't really eat that much algae and add a lot to the bioload. I would recommend Malaysian trumpet snails (sometimes called Malaysian livebearing snails or burrowing snails) over mystery snails any day. They are great for aerating the substrate (important for rooted plants) and will clean algae off the walls in their spare time.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:00 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

I personally wouldn't have a snail AND 5 cories. I'd drop the snail, but that's just me. If you can, go for smaller species of cory like pandas, or the pygmy species (corydoras habrosus, hastatus or pygmaeus). They will do better in a 10 gallon than their larger cousins. :)
Rather than gravel, see if you can get some sand. Cories much prefer it and it is really cute to see them playing in it. Gravel that is too large, too rough or too sharp can damage their cute little barbels. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #5 
MissAmyzing

Firstly, I wanted to say thank you to everyone for your advice! I wound up just getting 4 emerald cories, but still couldn't resist the snail. =P I also got 2 anacharis plants, 1 moneywort, and 1 Amazon sword plant to throw in there as well. Everyone seems to be doing really well, the water is still cloudy from the sand but it's coming along great!

I've since rearranged some of the stuff in the tank, but you get the idea. =)

I also have a test strip and an ammonia test kit that I bought a while back, because personally the idea of having to run to the store for that isn't something I'd be interested in doing. =P

Thanks for you guys' help!
MissAmyzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #6 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
While local pet stores will test for free, I think it is a much better idea to have a test kit on hand. That way if something goes wrong you can immediately test the parameters and either a) correct the problem without a trip to the pet store or b) rule out water quality issues and move on to the real issue. I believe testing kits are a necessity for fishkeeping.

More good plants to add to the mix would be anubias, java fern, and hornwort. They are very undemanding and don't need a lot of light. If you want to add a floating plant, duckweed or water sprite is a great choice. They don't need much light; don't need any ferts; and the fish love them.

If you are going with mystery snails because you like them, then ignore this part. But if you want a snail to eat algae, I would consider getting something else. Mystery snails don't really eat that much algae and add a lot to the bioload. I would recommend Malaysian trumpet snails (sometimes called Malaysian livebearing snails or burrowing snails) over mystery snails any day. They are great for aerating the substrate (important for rooted plants) and will clean algae off the walls in their spare time.
Definitely agree about the test kit, but until they can afford it, it's good to know they can still get water tested.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote