Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #1 
KillerTofu

Filter Question

Hi:) well I hope I put this question in the right place. It seems someone was listening to me and got me filters for my fish.

So here is my question, I received Whisper 3i Filters for my two betta tanks. (2.5 gal tanks) I want to know if I can just put the filters in the water with them. I was reading things about ammonia spikes and don't want to hurt my fish.
If I can add the filters right away, Should I be adding them to tanks with newly changed water?
And after the filter is in there how much water should I be changing and how often? (I don't have a water test kit. But if need be I live close to a petsmart and can have the water tested there.)
Also don't have a siphon/ gravel vacuum ~maybe I'll invest but for now I was reading about some people using turkey basters. :o
(I have 1 live plant in each tank atm if it matters)

KillerTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #2 
Jodah

I also have the 3i in my current 2.5g tank. Works just fine. You can add a filter at anytime really. Just be prepared for them to make a bit of noise, both from the air pump, and the popping bubbles bouncing the lid of the filter. It's nothing crazy, but it can be annoying to some.

The cartridges are junk. Mine needs to be changed out every 2 weeks. Soon I plan to be making my own for these. Remember, rinse-shake-rinse-shake-rinse some more. I find the carbon tetra puts in these tends to grind itself up during shipping.

Also, adding a filter doesn't cause a cycle in your tank which I think is what you are referring to as far as ammonia spikes etc.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote