Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2011, 03:14 AM   #1 
PinoyPooPow

Please help. Betta becoming Obese..

hey everyone.

I have a new community tank from Christmas and have quite a few fish including a betta. I feed about 1 pinch of fish food (per day) for all my fish however my betta always gets to the food 1st and becomes obese. I really dont want him to become constipated or have any other problems. Please help on how i can maybe help my other fish get to the food to

I also recently bought blood worms but i don't want to feed him it when he is already full..

Thanks
PinoyPooPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Scoop him out of the tank during feedings and feed him in the separate cup.
i used to do this for a submissive sorority female who never got to the surface in time before all the food was gone.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:18 AM   #3 
PinoyPooPow

oh, why did i not come up with this myself, thanks so much! now he can have his blood worm treat tomorrow :)
PinoyPooPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #4 
Myates

Yes, use a breeder's net if you want- one that sits in the tank at the top that way putting him in a cup twice a day to eat won't be so stressful on him.. you can just herd him into the container in the tank.
Bettas don't become obese, they don't get fat the way we do, or some mammals do. What you are seeing is a bloated/extended belly which in time, if not given the chance for his system to catch up, could cause some other health issues.

Fish should eat small, multiple meals throughout the day- so a small pinch in the morning, and a small pinch in the evening would be good for your other tropical fish too..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote