Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #1 
SwimmR

Edges of fins & tail clear?

I have a gorgeous new veiltail whose body is black & fins are chocolate brown (named him Mocha ;)
I've noticed, however, that the last cm or so of his fins & tail are almost transparent, unlike the rich brown of the rest of his tail.
He seems otherwise completely healthy, and this hasn't changed in the 2 weeks I've had him. He's in a heated 0.5gal bowl, water changes 2-3X/wk, and eats like a pig!
Is this something to worry about? Will it grow out?
Attached Images

SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi SwimR. Sounds like your guy's fins may be disintegrating or weakening. If you can it would really help if you upgraded your boy to at least a gallon tank, preferably two gallons. In a .5g bowl, you actually need to change the water every day! That's a lot of work. If you got him two gallons, he'd have more room to swim and you'd only have to change the water twice a week, 1 50% and 1 100% with gravel siphoning. Because the ammonia has been building up in his bowl for two weeks, your guy may be developing some fin rot. Changing the water every day will help to prevent or reverse this.

You say his .5g is heated? What's the temp? For his best health, it needs to be at least 78-80 F.

Hope this info helps you. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #3 
SwimmR

Thanks Sakura. I do change the water every 2-3 days, so the ammonia hasn't been building up for 2 weeks. But I'll work on getting him a bigger bowl. The temp is steady 78-80 degrees.
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #4 
Sakura8

You're welcome. He's a handsome boy. Sorry, I misunderstood you (), that's good you've been changing the water every 2-3 days, that definitely helps. The only reason I recommend bowls that are a gallon or bigger is just because maintenance is easier. The larger the bowl, the less water changes you have to do.

Keep an eye on those fins and if they start to fall off, get him into 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon. Feed him a high protein diet too, so a good quality pellet and lots of frozen bloodworms if you can. API Stress Coat may help to strengthen the fins as well.

Good luck! :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote