Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #1 
iLikeBetta808

treatment for epsom salt.

back from 4-day trip! i just bought epsom salt today because my fish has a big belly. -_-
how much do salt do i put?
iLikeBetta808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What other signs/symptom does he have beside the big belly.......is he still eating and pooping, any buoyancy issues, lethargic, clamp fins, hiding...etc....

You don't want to confuse a normal large tummy with bloat and treat needlessly

What size tank, filter, live plants, additives, water temp, how much and how often on the water changes, appetite, tank mates, how long have you had him and has he ever been sick and/or treated....

Can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #3 
nel3

you can go up to 3tsp per gallon safely.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #4 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What other signs/symptom does he have beside the big belly.......is he still eating and pooping, any buoyancy issues, lethargic, clamp fins, hiding...etc....

You don't want to confuse a normal large tummy with bloat and treat needlessly

What size tank, filter, live plants, additives, water temp, how much and how often on the water changes, appetite, tank mates, how long have you had him and has he ever been sick and/or treated....

Can you post a pic....
he's eating, but i can't find poop in his tank. no lethargy or anything.
right now i'm fasting him, since his belly worries me.

i have 2 gal. no filter or live plants. API water conditioner/stress coat. 50% every other day, 100% once a week. 3 pellets/2x a day. had him for 2 weeks so far.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

If he is otherwise acting and eating like himself.....I would only hold food for 24-48 hours max-otherwise you can cause the system to slow too much and then offer small frequent meals...often the reason for the enlarged tummy is more related to poor quality food that is high in grains/grain byproducts and/or amount being fed.

In a 2gal unfiltered without live plants-twice weekly water changes-1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality.....
Old 12-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #6 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
If he is otherwise acting and eating like himself.....I would only hold food for 24-48 hours max-otherwise you can cause the system to slow too much and then offer small frequent meals...often the reason for the enlarged tummy is more related to poor quality food that is high in grains/grain byproducts and/or amount being fed.

In a 2gal unfiltered without live plants-twice weekly water changes-1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality.....
are Aqueon pellets high in grains?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I have no idea....look at the list of ingredients on the package and sometimes you can find more information at the company web-site if they have one....