Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #1 
soccerdog693

My friend bought her male betta a "wife"

A friend of mine (relatively new to bettas) has a male betta that made a bubble nest. The people at petco told her he was now ready for a female (whatever that means) so she has put a female in the tank with him. She is hoping that if she keeps destroying the bubble nest they will never have fry, but they'll just live happily together? IDK. I told her that usually people keep one male, one female, or a sorority, and never a male/female combination. I fear one of her fish is going to end up killing the other, or she's gonna have babies, or just a very very frustrated mating pair.

So, any advice? Is there any possibility this will work out, or does she need to separate them asap? Should she expect fry?

thanks in advance
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Depending on the tank size and how it is scaped....usually the male and/or female will end up either killing each other or badly injuring each other-if they don't die from stress related issues...the odds of a successful spawn with living fry is pretty slim.....but this also depends on the setup and the two Bettas....might get lucky.....but in all honesty......the two need to be separated.....your friend doesn't sound like she is ready or even knows how to properly care for the Bettas she has...let alone hundreds of offspring.......strongly encourage her to get a second tank and separate them and start doing lots of research and then attempt a spawn later......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

OFL says it all pretty much! Could you get your friend to join this forum? :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #4 
soccerdog693

I can try. She loves her fish, but unfortunately has very bad informants. And I don't know how to help because I have always just had my single male. I'll let her know.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #5 
Luimeril

if you can, show her this site. :3 that way she'll see all the info, and be able to ask questions herself, ya know?
Luimeril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #6 
soccerdog693

OK, she's gonna separate them, and might join the board :) Thanks!