Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #1 
PaintingPintos

White fuzzy... scars?

My new betta fish seems to have 2 wart-like fuzzy white scrapes on his back. One is horizontal across the top of his head, and it's like some kind of bulging scar tissue.
Also, there's one 1/4 inch in front of his dorsal fin. Same deal. Vertical up his side and across his back. Any idea what it is?
I'm actually treating fin rot with Kosher salt and I'm also wondering how many times a week I have to add 1 tsp for the 1 gallon tank. 1 tsp per day? New, concerned betta owner Thanks!
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi, I don't suppose you could post pictures of these wounds, could you? That would help with the diagnosis because just from the description, they could be a lot of things. Wounds, columnaris, ulcers, missing scales . . .

Kosher salt is good but when you can, to be on the safe side, pick up some AQ salt. It's cheaper too. Don't want to use up all your good cooking salt.

When treating with salt in a 1g tank, do 100% water changes every day and redose the salt. Don't add in salt every day because salt doesn't evaporate so you'd just be building up lots and lots of salt and eventually, it would reach toxic levels.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #3 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi, I don't suppose you could post pictures of these wounds, could you? That would help with the diagnosis because just from the description, they could be a lot of things. Wounds, columnaris, ulcers, missing scales . . .

Kosher salt is good but when you can, to be on the safe side, pick up some AQ salt. It's cheaper too. Don't want to use up all your good cooking salt.

When treating with salt in a 1g tank, do 100% water changes every day and redose the salt. Don't add in salt every day because salt doesn't evaporate so you'd just be building up lots and lots of salt and eventually, it would reach toxic levels.
This is as close as I can get! He's mostly friendly except for my mom's huuuuge camera. I used that, but he swims away, and it's quite blurry here. My digital camera isn't compatible with the computer so this mnight be as good as it gets!
Attached Images

PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #4 
Sakura8

The marks look a little raised up, is that right? Do they have an uneven, almost cauliflower-like appearance?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote