Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #1 
Ciomara1202

Need some help pin pointing the problem

So i got a betta as a gift a few months ago. He looked just fine for awhile but i unknowingly didnt care properly for him , i notice he was changing colors and his fin wasnt as long as it use to be , then i found out about fin rot. so i cleaned out all his water , gave him maracyn 2 and continued daily 1 gallon water changes for a week , he is in a 5 gallon fish bowl with a heater. But his fins continue to be changing colors and are now looking crimped.
Ciomara1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #2 
Myates

Welcome.. pretty boy you have.

He doesn't show signs of any fin rot- I would stop Maracyn immediately and either add in the carbon filter back into the tank, or do a 100% water change to remove the medication. Did you keep the tank dark while he was on it? Maracyn tends to be light sensitive. For future cases of fin rot I would suggest using AQ salt over medication, but make sure to get the appropriate dose and treatment period before using it.

A lot of bettas, if not all, will change colors once they get into a good home- either become brighter, or colors you have not seen in them will show up all of a sudden.

What looks to be happening with him if his fins are getting shorter is that he is biting them off- which is common in large finned bettas such as halfmoons.

The crimped could be from hard water- one of my boys who is older has crimped fins such as that and he is a fin biter as well. All you can really do is keep up on the weekly water changes to make sure fin rot doesn't develop and to promote fin growth. 30-50% weekly water change is what I suggest in that size of a tank, if the tank is filtered. Would also want to use a gravel vacuum/siphon to remove debris and waste each week when you do the water change. Don't forget water conditioner.
If there is no filter, then 1 50% weekly water change with 1 monthly 100% water change.

A diet high in protein will help his fins grow back and keep him healthy- small multiple meals a day is ideal, 2x + a day. Don't overfeed, their stomachs are approximately the size of their eye, so (in general) 2-3 pellets per meal twice a day is a good amount.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #3 
Ciomara1202

Oh ok phewwwww, thank you . I thought I was torturing him with my idiocy. He did make a bubble nest the other day, which I read was suppose to be a good sign , which I at first thought meant he was running out of oxygen XD. Haha. So I guess I have been over feeding him a bit though. Thank you for the reply , I realized I put this in the wrong section afterwards. I'm really interested in getting into this as a hobby .
Ciomara1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #4 
Myates

Hehe :) Glad to help.. and yeah, it's easy to over feed sometimes.
Just keep up on the water changes and he should be just fine!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote