Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #1 
mystee3

Question New Betta for Christmas

My 5 year old son received a Betta fish for Christmas, in a bowl, with a little cup of flakes and a little cup of blue granules. I'm not even sure what they are, but I was told to put a few flakes in once a day and the blue granules in once a week. Does anybody know what this stuff is?

I am new to the fish world, but am a dog lover, dog advocate, and volunteer with local rescue groups. I have the utmost respect for animals of all kinds, which is what brought me to this site.

After reading all the helpful information on this site, I am going to head out tomorrow in search of a small tank, heater, pellets, and water treatment supplies. Thank you to the betta community here for all the great information on this site.

Do you have any recommendations on what kind of small tank to get? Is there a place I can order on line, or will PetSmart or PetCo have the supplies I need? Also, how do I keep this fish happy while in this fish bowl? Should I change some of the water even though I don't have chemicals to treat the water yet? (aside from the mystery blue granules) Should I just let it go another day?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
mystee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

This is a good tank and great value for the size.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258

In the meantime, try to keep your fish as warm as possible. Heaters are very important for bettas, they will get lethargic and they immune system will weaken in cold water.

I don't know what the blue granules are but I wouldn't change his water. He needs dechlorinator and the water he's currently in was probably treated.

Your water changes will depend in the tank size you get. If you're looking to get a kit, I would go for anything larger than a galon. The smaller size tank you get the more frequent water changes it will need.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

+1 to what Vil said. The hawkeye is an excellent option and cheaper than some kits half its size.

Petsmart or Petco should have everything you'll need.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #4 
angiessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
This is a good tank and great value for the size.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258

In the meantime, try to keep your fish as warm as possible. Heaters are very important for bettas, they will get lethargic and they immune system will weaken in cold water.
I agree about that tank -- it's the one I have, and it's been a great tank so far. Plus, it's only about five dollars more than the 2.5 gallon I originally had. I'm using this heater with it: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...5039274&sr=1-1 -- and it's working great. Definitely pick up a thermometer, though, because the heater doesn't have temperature readings on it and you'll need a thermometer to get it set right.
angiessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #5 
mystee3

Thanks for all the information. That tank isn't available at my local Walmart and it is out of stock at the next 3 closest ones. I can pick up the rectangular 5 gallon at a nearby Walmart, or I can order this one (which looks much nicer) and have it shipped to the store in 5-10 days. Is he in danger if I wait that long, or would it be best to have him in the proper environment ASAP?

In the mean time, should I leave the bowl in the sunlight during the day to keep him warm, or would that be damaging to water that is not circulating?
mystee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #6 
angiessa

The rectangular tank would be just fine, too. We just suggested the hex tank because it's a little cheaper. :)
angiessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

He'll be fine for a few days if you want to go with the hawkeye :)

I wouldn't leave him in direct sunlight. The temperature swing from light to dark would do more harm than good. If you have a room that is warmer than the others such as a small bathroom, etc that might be a good place to put him. You can also wrap his bowl in a towel or blanket at night to keep some of the heat in.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote