Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #1 
BellaBetta88

Fin rot that I can't beat or Tail biting?

So sorry guys....

I haven't been on this website in a while. I got on here a few months ago but then school and nursing applications took over my time. I've been trying my best to help my betta Rocky, but I feel like I should have looked on here for advice sooner.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon mini bow
What temperature is your tank? 80-82
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none...he did have a moss ball but I threw it away. He has a plant now. While I was treating him with Maracyn 2 I took the plant out of the tank.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top fin pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? every day...4-6 a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? usually once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? usually full but sometimes half
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

All I know is that my pH is around 8

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his tail got short relatively suddenly but it could have been over the course of a few days. I wasn't paying as much attention because of exams.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not that I can tell
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, I've done a round of Maracyn 2, used aquarium salt..just a few teaspoons in his tank and then I did not add any more....I have used Betta fix, Stress Coat, and Betta Revive...simultaneously. Right now, he has a few drops of Betta Revive in his tank (there was more before), stress coat, prime, betta fix, and when I changed his water 2 days ago I put some aquarium salt in. I don't know if all of these things together are bad but I don't think they are. I've just been trying my best to fight whatever this is.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him in late september i think...and he was about 1.5 inches then not counting his tail. I don't think he's grown too much since but I haven't paid too much attention since I've been so busy.

Pics from Today, the U shaped chunk missing in the middle appeared virtually overnight. He also had a tiny hole closer to his body that healed up very quickly.

Name:  Rockytail.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  rockytail2.jpg
Size:  32.0 KB

Name:  rockytail3.jpg
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  rockytail4.jpg
Size:  29.6 KB

This picture is from a few weeks ago when I first noticed the problem:

Name:  rockytail5.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  30.5 KB

And this was my beautiful fish around when I first got him:

Name:  rockytail6.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  37.6 KB

At first, I thought he had bitten his tail off but then I started to think it was fin rot......I also don't see how he could have developed a tiny hole higher up in his tail if it was tail biting. It was kind of like a large pin prick in the tail that healed up. He is my first fish, so I'm not very experienced. I've also never seen any fin pieces around or seen any agressive behavior on his part. He does like to swim around a lot and a few weeks ago I did notice him flaring a lot.

Last edited by BellaBetta88; 12-25-2011 at 10:04 PM.
BellaBetta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #2 
BellaBetta88

Also, do I add aquarium salt with every water change or every day? I found this confusing and I don't want to overdose him so I just add it with water changes. I didn't do any water changes for 5 days when he was on antibiotics and everything. Then I waited another 3 days when I was using betta revive after that because it said to treat for 3 days. So I last changed his water yesterday morning I believe....
Old 12-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #3 
gossipgirl1031

I'm not sure if it it's rot or tail biting. I'm treating one of my females with a serious case of fin rot (rescue) that I've had for a few days now. She is getting daily 100% water changes with 1 tsp AQ salt & dechlorinator per gallon (premixed) at room temp. For no more than 10 days since AQ salt can be damaging over time. I'm just now starting to see some regrowth. Her case is so severe and may have been that way for awhile before I got her that she may have permanent damage. Good luck BellaBetta! BTW, I'm in school for nursing too! Tough, but should be worth it one day-good luck there too!
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:14 AM   #4 
BellaBetta88

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossipgirl1031 View Post
I'm not sure if it it's rot or tail biting. I'm treating one of my females with a serious case of fin rot (rescue) that I've had for a few days now. She is getting daily 100% water changes with 1 tsp AQ salt & dechlorinator per gallon (premixed) at room temp. For no more than 10 days since AQ salt can be damaging over time. I'm just now starting to see some regrowth. Her case is so severe and may have been that way for awhile before I got her that she may have permanent damage. Good luck BellaBetta! BTW, I'm in school for nursing too! Tough, but should be worth it one day-good luck there too!
Thank you. Maybe I'll put him in a half gallon tank and do daily water changes. I just wish I could figure out if it's fin rot.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #5 
SwimmR

Tail biting

Well, I'm no expert, but I have a fish who's in the same boat as yours, and the experts all said it looked like "classic tailbiting". I couldn't believe it, because he'd been perfectly fine & happy for weeks, then one day he chomped half his tail (and the next day took off more tail plus his dorsal fin). But his huge ventral fin is untouched. I think it's because that fin doesn't bother him - doesn't flop over on him, just hangs down. Anyhow, that was 4 & 5 days ago. Since then I've been doing 100% water changes with salt (1tsp/gal), put him in a bigger bowl with a live plant, which he seems to enjoy swimming around, let him flare at his neigbors 2X/day, and fed him more often. I don't know which of these are the key, but he has stopped biting and just today I can see a clear edge of regrowth on his tail. I know I'm probably overfeeding him, but my theory is if he's never hungry, maybe he won't go for his fins. Plus he'll need the extra food to grow new fins. I'll ease up when his tail is grown back. So, good luck - try changing up the tank/bowl to give him something new to distract him.
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #6 
mwalters400

If you use a flashlight and magnifying glass you should be able to tell if it's fin rot. The edge will look discolored and disintegrating. A bite will look pretty clean. The suggestion to put the fish in a smaller quarantine tank devoid of gravel, decorations, etc. is a good one. Use salt and change 100% water daily. Good luck.
mwalters400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #7 
BellaBetta88

Thank you. I am really starting to wonder if it is tail biting. I will start feeding him more. Honestly, he always seems SO hungry and he hasn't grown much so I wonder if i'm holding him back? anyway he just doesn't seem like a tail biter but then again what do I know? Lol
Old 12-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I also know heavy metals can corrode the betta's tail... some tap water conditioners can lower or neutralize these metals... That could be something too, maybe?

And just beware of overfeeding :p my Shiloh would eat twice his weight in food if I let him. I've resolved his biting issue by moving him into a 20 by himself.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #9 
BellaBetta88

I will look for a magnifying glass. I think I will wait a day or two to decide if i should put him in the smaller tank. He seems totally healthy behavior wise. I've always strived to keep his water clean too, but I guess fin rot could still strike regardless. The clean u shape chunk missing that appeared overnight is making me think it might be biting.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #10 
BellaBetta88

I don't have the space for a big tank but maybe I could find room for a 5 or 6 gallon.