Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2011, 06:31 AM   #1 
MaisyDawgThirteen

New Betta. :)

I got my betta yesterday! I named him Hermes. All of the other bettas in the cups were either flaring or just sitting there. He was swimming around like crazy in his little cup! I thought he needed to swim around in the 10 Gallon I got him (He's spoiled! LOL). He is a royal blue veil tail with little red streaks on his bottom fins! What pattern would that be? Also, it seems like the sides of my tank are mirrors. Most of the time he's been in the tank he's been looking at himself in the mirror. He hasn't really flared much. Is there anyway to cover up that mirror, or will he just get used to himself? I bought him flakes by accident. They are Omega One Betta Buffet. How many should I feed him? Yesterday I fed him 4 or 5 but he just ignored them and swam around. A few minutes later I tried giving him freeze-dried blood worms. Then he started chasing them as they floated around the tank. He got 1 of the 3 I put in and then ignored the rest. It was really cute! Should I feed him this morning?
Attached Images

Last edited by MaisyDawgThirteen; 12-27-2011 at 06:35 AM.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #2 
wnppmy

Assume you treated the water, likely getting use to his new home, Iwill help on the feeding, throw the flakes away please and buy the correct Betta bits pellets, mine eats 3 to 4 daily and spoil with couple more late in the day. My tank is far smaller and elected to add a Marimo Ball Live plant, mines a week old bubble nesting. Keep the safe 77 degree temp.
Enjoy!
wnppmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnppmy View Post
Assume you treated the water, likely getting use to his new home, Iwill help on the feeding, throw the flakes away please and buy the correct Betta bits pellets, mine eats 3 to 4 daily and spoil with couple more late in the day. My tank is far smaller and elected to add a Marimo Ball Live plant, mines a week old bubble nesting. Keep the safe 77 degree temp.
Enjoy!
Yeah, we were going to buy pellets and keep those as spare. :) There is water conditioner and bacteria drops in there. I thought I should wait for awhile before adding a live plant. The temp is at 77 F. Thanks! :D
Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #4 
wnppmy

Your doing fine, live plant are optional, experimenting with my pod plant for filtering. Reason so strong on pellet food as easily controlled feeding avoids contamination on extra food as pellets easy to remove. Caution on adding the needed bacteria tho excellent to start things, after opening one of mine became bad, just careful after it's opened for later usage. When first opened it was fine. Have fun !
wnppmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #5 
Myates

Feed daily, 2x a day would be good- morning and evening, 2-3 pellets per meal.

As far as the mirror effect, that tends to happen when the lights are on in the tank and the room is dim/dark making it a mirror to him. But when the room lights are on he can see out just fine with a possibility of a slight mirror effect. He will eventually get used to seeing himself in time.
There are mirrored tanks out there, but only the back of the tank is actually mirrored.

As for coloring- you are right as he is royal blue, if only his fins have the red on them then he may be considered bi-color, but normally that is when the fins are completely different color then the body.. I'd just refer him as royal blue, as most blue VTs will have red/green on the fins. He is a good looking boy!

A tip: I would move the betta hammock closer to the surface, just a few inches below it as he would probably use it quite often if it were 3 inches from the top.

Seems as if everyone else has you pretty much covered. Congrats on your new little guy :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #6 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I got the pellets and upgraded his filter and heater. :P The petsmart gave it to us for free because in the kit we got the heater and filter were too small. The manager thought it was unfair so we got it for free! :) I moved the hammock to the other side of the tank where he tends to rest on the fake plants.

I tried feeding him some pellets yesterday. I put in 3 and I think he ate 1. When my dad set up the heater he forgot to set it to the right temperature, so when I woke up the temp was at 73F! I was really panicked, so me and my mom figured out that we could set it, and we set the temp to 79. That was at 7:15 and now the temp is at 76. Is that temp OK for him? He has been hanging around the bottom, so I think he is taking a rest. :) Should we feed him today? I'm not too sure because he just completely ignores the food. Maybe he just eats when I'm not looking.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #7 
Myates

That was nice of the manager :)

Check again in a few hours as heaters will slowly raise the temp, too quick of a change can put them into shock.

Feed him daily, 2 times a day. It may take a week or two before he is eating properly, but always offer so he can get used to the schedule and to you. Remove any uneaten pellets right after feeding so they will not foul up the water. As well as you would want him hungry when it's feeding time rather then allow him to eat pellets that have sunk to the bottom and sat there for a while- pellets start to lose their nutrition as soon as they hit the water, so if he is eating pellets an hour or two later he isn't getting much nutrition wise and may not be as hungry when you want him to be. So offer food, take whatever he doesn't eat out and that should help get him in the habit of eating when it's time.
Also, feed only one pellet at a time- feed, make sure he eats it, feed another and if he doesn't eat it, then remove it.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #8 
styggian

It's basically handfeeding your betta :)
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #9 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
That was nice of the manager :)

Check again in a few hours as heaters will slowly raise the temp, too quick of a change can put them into shock.

Feed him daily, 2 times a day. It may take a week or two before he is eating properly, but always offer so he can get used to the schedule and to you. Remove any uneaten pellets right after feeding so they will not foul up the water. As well as you would want him hungry when it's feeding time rather then allow him to eat pellets that have sunk to the bottom and sat there for a while- pellets start to lose their nutrition as soon as they hit the water, so if he is eating pellets an hour or two later he isn't getting much nutrition wise and may not be as hungry when you want him to be. So offer food, take whatever he doesn't eat out and that should help get him in the habit of eating when it's time.
Also, feed only one pellet at a time- feed, make sure he eats it, feed another and if he doesn't eat it, then remove it.
Yep, now the temp is at 78! Exactly where I want it to be. :) Oh, OK. That make sense. I had no clue about them losing nutrition! My strategy was to put it in, and if he doesn't eat it, he might eat it later! xD Not one of my best ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by styggian View Post
It's basically handfeeding your betta :)
Exactly! :D
Old 12-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #10 
Myates

I know it's something you want to do.. I have a new boy of about 3 weeks and he's the pickiest eater I've ever had. He's very young, which makes it even harder on me because he needs a lot of nutrition to grow properly- but getting him to eat more then half a pellet a day is hard. I too want to just keep some in there and hope he gets them later.

If he eats flakes regularly with no trouble, go ahead and feed them. It's not really that they are less nutritious nor bad for them- as they are easy to over feed and harder to remove any uneaten. But if you can take out the flakes quickly enough (even using a turkey baster may help) then go ahead and feed them as they are better then nothing.