Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #1 
SilverMagnolia

Question Two Betta. One 10G Tank.

So on one big impulse I bought a Betta. Then I went back for more supplied and bought another. Crazy? Yes. Petco is having their $1 per gallon sale so I went ahead and bought a 10 gallon, a rock and a live plant. Amethyst is my female veiltail. Then there is Kim, my Baby Betta. I put both of them in the same tank, because I was praying they would get along. So far they have survived two nights together!! Thank God. But Ame keeps kind of "picking on" Kim, not being very harsh. She'll swim over and maybe poke him/her, then Kim'll swiftly swim off. Amethyst is being more curious/territorial. But I really don't want Kim to lose any sleep or food over this. Do you think that they will adjust to each other or should I divide the tank some how? And would I be able to add in any other females in the future? Or is it too late. I am currently researching sororities.

For food I have Hikari Betta Bio-Gold "Baby Pellet", but it seems that when the food expands in the water it's a little too big for Kim... I've tried crushing the pellets a little to see if that'll help. Any ideas? I need advice on the tank and food.
SilverMagnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #2 
kathstew

You need to separate them unfortunately.
Bettas are called fighting fish for a reason.
If they are both females you'd need a minimum of 5 girls in a 10 gallon tank minimum (but 20 is recommended), and even then there is a chance there is going to be fighting.
Especially considering one is a baby betta, the baby betta is in danger of being bullied. They may get along right now, but it won't last, it never does.
When keeping bettas together (again min of 5 in at least a 10 gallon) they need to be close in size otherwise bullying can occur.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #3 
SilverMagnolia

Alright! Thank you. Do you have any ideas on how to divide the tank? Since I'm not prepared for any more fish, I think I'll separate them ASAP.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #4 
Myates

DIY dividing tutorial

DIY dividing tutorial #2

Here are a couple ways to do it... but I agree, you need to add in 2-3 more girls to make it a safer environment.

I would use paper clips on top and use the gravel on bottom to hold the dividers in place if needed- not the aquarium glue in case later on you decide to add more girls, or use one and make it a community tank.

Make sure to have the water level at least 2 inches below the top of the divider, as they are great jumpers.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #5 
SilverMagnolia

Thanks a million! The tutorials are great. :D

Tags
aggression, baby betta, female, food, tank