Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #1 
mgb6

My first betta! but a concern :/

Hey! This is my first post on this site, but I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks, brushing up on everything I need to know before getting a fish. I got my betta on Monday and am excited to post some pics, but now I'm concerned. I'm afraid he may have fin rot... the edges of his fins are dark, plus his tail seems quite short compared to the pics I've seen on here. I'm not sure if it's been dark like this since I got him and I just didn't notice, or if it's developed over the past couple of days. I'm a newbie so I have no idea if I'm right, so I'm hoping someone on here can tell me for sure.

These pictures don't really do his colors justice but you can see the dark edges on his fins. Thanks for looking, hopefully somebody can fill me in.
mgb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

What a lovely fella...nice find....to me it looks more like normal pigment-but his fins are a bit tattered looking and I suspect that was due to how he was kept before you got him....

How is his overall behavior-acting okay, responding to you, eating...etc....no clamp fins, buoyancy, flashing (itching/scratching on objects) lethargic...etc....

The very best treatment is clean, dechlorinated, like temp water from water changes and good nutrition.....

What size tank, filter, live plants, additives used, water temp, what are your water change plans-how often and how much, type of food and feeding plan-also how is his appetite.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-28-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #3 
mgb6

Hello, thanks so much for your response.
He is in a 2.5 gal tank without a filter. The water temp is at 79 degrees right now, is this a good place to be? Yesterday it was around 76-77. I wanted it a little higher than that and I have been slowly adjusting the heater to try and get it at a steady temperature. I'm planning on changing 50% once 100% once each week. I was planning on doing a 50% tomorrow but I may do one tonight, maybe a full water change? The plants are silk. I used Nutrafin Betta Plus as a conditioner and have Aqueon pellets for food. I was thinking maybe 4 pellets or every day or so, but I haven't quite figured that out yet.
Overall his behavior seems normal, his appetite has been very good and he has been swimming around a lot today. However his top fin seems pretty scraggly and limp, I think it looks worse than the first day. Also he has been holding his bottom fins (ventrals?) to his sides instead of them hanging down, not sure if that is an issue.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds good.....filters are optional with this species and sometimes the filter/water movement can cause fin damage in the long fin males....
Your water change plan of twice weekly 50/100% is perfect...I would just do a 50% as you planned and then the 100%-be sure and properly re-acclimate him back to the water chemistry with the 100% water change by adding small amount of the new tank water to him in the holding container over 10-15min to be safe....

Good that he ate for you right away....sometimes they like to stress us out and not eat for a week when they first come home with us....lol.....they do love to keep us on our toes......

Keep a close eye on the fins and if you see any changes or they look to be getting worse or change in behavior-let us know and we can help you with the proper treatment....but right now since he is new and generally acting okay....clean water in the proper temp and good food that you are providing him right now should perk him up in no time.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #5 
PitGurl

Your bettas fins look like a healthy Crowntails to me. It's quite common for that color to have black edges. Congrats on your fishy friend!
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #6 
mgb6

Thanks so much... I feel better now, I'll continue to keep a close eye on him. I'm really grateful for this forum, lots of helpful people and I've learned a lot!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #7 
tpocicat

You have a beautiful betta there. Maybe he'll flare for you, that will help, he looks like a crowntail to me too.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #8 
lexylex0526

Hey and welcome to the site! Your betta is adorable:) quite beautiful!!! To me it seems that the dark tips are only little pigments that many bettas have... NOT fin rot. Also since there a different types of bettas they all have different tail lengths so his is the perfect size for his type. Enjoy being a betta parent:)
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote